What do u think??

Started by
10 comments, last by princess19aimee 22 years ago
Ok I love playing games,I love reading about games, well put it this way, I am an addict to the video game industry!! So i decided to learn how to make them, not by reading a book or something,I want to do it so i could work for EA or ION STORM.. So i decided to go to college and get a bachelors degree in Game art design . CHECK LINK http://www.aisf.artinstitutes.edu/programs_detail.asp?pid=9&dtid=3&display=program&programname=Game%20Art%20And%20Design I am set on doing it ,its going to cost around 65000 dollars for 3 years, after that they would get u a job in some fancy game company. Anyway my questions are. 1-What do u think of it?? 2-I am not the best in Math nor Physics,I cant draw !! But i am ready to learn. Do u think I would be able to survive?? Please give me your opinion specially if u ever entered something similar to this college. Thanks
Advertisement
well all i can say is, don''t wait till college, start practicing now...
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
College is not something you do so you can start a new career. College is what you do when you have some idea and want to expound on it.

I went to college with a major in Electronic Engineering. Nothing was as irritating as being in the first year classes with people who had never even picked up a screwdriver! These people woke up one morning and said to themselves...

"I have never had any interest in electronics, yet there is good money to be made in the field. I think I''ll go to school for 3 years and get into the field!"

That is not how things work. Hate to break it to ya.

Also - if you can''t draw at all, what made you decide on an ART DEGREE!?! Ok, I am normally pretty optomistic towarrds nearly everything, but it seems to me that you haven''t realy thought things through.

Oh well,
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
That''s a good school. I have a friend who went there - after he got his BA. Really hard core school for art.

quote:
I am set on doing it ,its going to cost around 65000 dollars for 3 years,

At that price, it had better be good - Don''t forget to factor in the cost of living in San Francisco - one of the most expensive places to live in the US. $1500+/mo rent for a tiny studio apt.

quote:
...after that they would get u a job in some fancy game company.

Um... don''t believe this. The truth is you will ultimately be the one that gets yourself a job with some fancy game company. In fact, I would suggest that you start looking after your first year so that by your third year you will have found a job that you like.

Since you say that you aren''t much of an artist, I would suggest that you enroll in some art courses at the local junior college to and get your feet wet inexpensively. If you find that you have the knack and the desire for art, then ASF is a good place to go.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
quote:Original post by Landsknecht
College is not something you do so you can start a new career. College is what you do when you have some idea and want to expound on it.

I went to college with a major in Electronic Engineering. Nothing was as irritating as being in the first year classes with people who had never even picked up a screwdriver! These people woke up one morning and said to themselves...

"I have never had any interest in electronics, yet there is good money to be made in the field. I think I''ll go to school for 3 years and get into the field!"

That is not how things work. Hate to break it to ya.

Also - if you can''t draw at all, what made you decide on an ART DEGREE!?! Ok, I am normally pretty optomistic towarrds nearly everything, but it seems to me that you haven''t realy thought things through.

Oh well,
Landsknecht

I completely agree. It is rather frustrating to hear some of the questions people ask in my computer science classes at DePaul.
Imagine that everyone in your assembly programming class is supposed to have had at least 3 C++/programming courses plus one survey of computer science course. How could someone, in the middle of the quarter, ask this question:
"Excuse me, but what''s a parse?"
What''s a parse?! My gosh, do you even realize what the computer does when you program?! Sheesh.
Anyway, I say having ambition is one thing, but a very important thing to do is to keep learning. Learn all you can outside of class as well as inside.
When I started, I wanted to be super computer programmer, making the best games (er, applications, if you talked to my parents). I have looked back at some of my emails that I sent to the email server''s administrator and laughed at my naiveness.
Wanna laugh? When you get about a couple of months or years experience under you, make sure you saved your old emails to admins and teachers as well as your first papers so that you can look at them and realize how much you have learned since then.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
quote:

Oh well,
Landsknecht

Well i really would like to learn!

Is the game industry is all about drawing??
What about sound? Game level design and much more?
You are make in ot sound like it is over for me :-(

My question is if i cant draw , Am i just doomed not to become a game programmer?
By the way i am 24 years old.

Thanks to all the responses

Sorry, I don´t know anything about THAT school. It sure sounds expensive, though!!

Anyway, I don''t think you should give up just because you can´t draw. Using Texas Lutheran University''s words: Don''t get a degree, get an education! With practice you should be able to learn to draw pretty well, I think (I''ve seen this before!!)

And in case you don''t, there is MUCH more in game programming that just knowing how to draw!! Learn computer algorithms, computer languages, AI, etc., etc.

Maybe some other school might be better??

Best of lucks, and remember: DON''T GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS, EVER!!!

Regards

Robert Ferraro

Bye!

[edited by - Robert Ferraro on March 22, 2002 6:09:52 PM]

Anyway, I don''t think you should give up just because you can´t draw. Using Texas Lutheran University''s words: Don''t get a degree, get an education! With practice you should be able to learn to draw pretty well, I think (I''ve seen this before!!)

And in case you don''t, there is MUCH more in game programming that just knowing how to draw!! Learn computer algorithms, computer languages, AI, etc., etc.

Maybe some other school might be better??

Best of lucks, and remember: DON''T GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS, EVER!!!

Regards

Robert Ferraro

Thanks Robert :-)
I really want to do this and I will.

Ok, we need to clarify something... You keep talking about game programming, yet you are going to an art school. Programming and art are VERY different things. I would bet dollars to donuts that most of the programmers on this site can''t draw to save their lives! I know I can''t! That is why we have artists. The drawing is their job. Our job is to put their pretty pictures on the screen and breath life into them.

You might want to figure out exactly what it is you want to do. It sounds like you might be confusing a few things. If my earlier post sounded to harsh, please forgive me... I was running on very little sleep.

If it is something you realy want to do, then good luck - but the road is not easy...

Oh well,
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement