Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know of a good Assembler?

This topic is 5742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to learn a little assembly language programming and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good assembler i could use. ------------------------------ If someone asks you "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in, do you get change?

GO to this link: http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/download.asp?FileID=19433

This is a very good Assembler called BLASM! It might need a slight justification but nothing major, just a file-path tweak or two.

[edited by - masterconjurer on March 22, 2002 1:02:02 AM]

MASM is good. It's the Microsoft Assembler. Free. The newest version supports high-level macros for some things, the best of which is function calling.

Macro version:
call TheFunction, Param1, Param2, Param3

Regular version:
push Param3
push Param2
push Param1
call TheFunction

~CGameProgrammer( );

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on March 22, 2002 1:12:32 AM]

quote:
Original post by GarlandIX
I want to learn a little assembly language programming and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good assembler i could use.

------------------------------
If someone asks you "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in, do you get change?

Get TASM, it''s borlands version of an ASM assembler, it reminds me of X86 ASM a bit. That''s the one I used for my DOS programming. Wrote some pretty cool things using it, ... Ah! the memories....

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
cyberdrek@gdnmail.net
Founder Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Just to let you know... I went to the site named above ( http://www.movsd.com/ ) to download MASM and whilst it was installing my antivirus program found a virus called W32/Undertake in one of the files in an examples directory (example8 or something I didn''t take note at the time)

Neil

Ok, im confused now, a whole bunch of people said to get MASM, but there seems to be 2 MASM assemblers, one by microsoft and one on http://www.movsd.com/. What is the difference? Which one would be better for a beginner(in assembly language) like me? Also, out of all the assemblers out there, which one is the "best". Also, are they free because right now i can't afford to buy anything.
If someone asks you "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in, do you get change?

[edited by - GarlandIX on March 22, 2002 8:45:36 PM]

Neil,

I can assure you there is no virus. These examples have been checked and re-checked by many many users, including myself. It may just be an example of some clever coding that your anti-virus prog didn''t approve of.

Garland,

These are the same MASM. Download from movsd.com for a good package - includes all libs and headers you need to get started for win32 programming. Also, it''s a fun install . MASM has a very big community behind it, so if you''re just starting out it should be your assembler of choice.

Lackluster,

Just for your information, the file was C:\MASM32\EXAMPLE8\MOB\NOIMPORT\NOIMPORT.EXE.

Not arguing that it is a virus because knowing that right now is quite a long way beyond me, just thought you might like to know

Neil

What is the virus? Your AV program should identify the virus and post a link to detailed information on it. If it''s a really simple virus, it''s possible the AV program may be wrong, I suppose. Anyway the examples are unimportant.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Thsnks for all your help. I got MASM today, and it looks preetty neat. Oh, and Neil, you don''t need to worry because i scanned it for viruses and there weren''t any, so you virus scanner was probably just confused . So, does anyone know of some good tutorials?