Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yogix

get available screen resolution ?

me = Linux newbie ;P How can I get the availables resolutions supported by my 3D card under Linux ? (with C++ code)

me = "veteran" Linux newbie
I don''t think linux can detect all the available modes of your graphic board, you have to get them from the specifications sheet that comes with the board.
The proof is that when you install Linux, it ASKS you to enter what resolution and color modes ( bpp ) you have ( some distro give you the oportunity to test the entered parameters ) before writing them to the /etc/X11/X86Config-file ).
Of course, it''s just a newbie opinion

If you are using Xlib, look at the header file
X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h

I''ve touched through it a few times but never really
went into depth with it.

You can use the function XF86VidModeQueryExtension() and then XF86VidModeQueryVersion() to see if your X server supports it.

This is comming from a 6 year Xlib veteran, so you do need a lot of background to work with that. Most of the time I would let the user decide which video mode they want.

Actually, newer versions of X will determine the refresh rates and stuff, and I believe that there are some programs that will be able to detect all possible resolutions that the video card can handle.

rm -rf /bin/laden