Game Programming

Started by
36 comments, last by GoldenOne 22 years ago
Hi, I''m a 12 year old who has studied programming for about 4 years. I think I''ll now head off in the direction of C/C++ programming for Windows. I have heard that there are beginning game programming tutorials in the web. Can you guys give me some recommendations on some of these??
Advertisement
I suggest looking around on this site. Try the Articles and Resources section.

I suggest buying some books as well.

www.GameTutorials.com has many good tutorials

and if you wanna learn OpenGL
nehe.gamedev.net is very good.
winprog.org is a good place to ramp up on windows programming.

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they''re organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Seriously consider what programming entails. Math is a must, and being able to figure out problems (abstract thinking) is a must also.
Since you have already done a few years (and at 12, I am impressed!) I don''t think you will have much of a problem.
There are some good books that have changed my perspective on programming. OpenGL Game Programming is a great resource for teaching you how to setup a Win32 OpenGL program.
Of course, you want to learn programming in general as well.
Getting to know how your compiler works is a good thing.
Bjourne Strousap (spelling?) is the author of C++. He wrote a book, now in its third or special edition, called "The C++ Programming Language." Even if you don''t understand everything in it, it is seriously a nice resource of terms to look up.

Also, have fun looking up things online or at the library. How many times has someone looked up "error code" and found out a new technique for debugging software or even how to display messages to the user? Or looked up "animation" and discovered that there is a number of different ways to do it, and then looked up "rigid body animation" and found something on "kinematics" which leads to them creating this awesome demo?

Always keep pushing the envelope of what you know. Being able to apply what you know is nice, and it only gets nicer when you know more. B-)

-------------------------
(Gorgeous graphics)+(beautiful sound effects)+(symphonic music)+(no gameplay) != Good game
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Sounds like everyone suggests OpenGL in some way on all my posts. Seems like I better get a move on. By the way, is OpenGL a language of some sort or what?
In a way it is, it''s basically just a thing to make 3d and 2d graphics and stuff.

If you care about her/him, you''''ll listen
If you love her/him, you''''ll heal his/her wounds
If you like her/him, you''''ll do all of the above, and help her/him in need

A person who cares is a person who never speaks
8. how can you study programming at 8. its mad. how do you do it.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
8. how can you study programming at 8. its mad. how do you do it.

Maybe his zero button doesen''t work,

quote:Original post by GoldenOne
Hi, I''m a 120 year old who has studied programming for about 40 years.

As a 12 year old:

OpenGL is a library. I suggest you study MORE on programming. (Windows? pfew)
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement