Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ape

How can I develop in an earlier version of DirectX

I''ve got a game in DirectX7. ButI''m sure it would be able to reach more customers if it were in DX6 or even DX5. My game is only 2d, and simple 2d at that, so I''m sure that DX5 could do it, but how do I change my code to use the older api. Do I need the DX5 SDK? I''d imagine that all that is included in my DX7 SDK, but I don''t know how to get at it. Any help?

You dont need older sdks, there are 2 approachs, one is to downgrade your code to DX5 (using for example LPSURFACE4 instead of LPSURFACE7, I know those are not the right names, but I dont have the sdk handly, and I dont remember the exact name), or you could just use QueryInterface and query for the best interface available, you query for dx7, if failed, query for dx6, if failed query for dx5 if failed no dx is installed, fail.

hmmmm... not sure about that secound choise I gave, feel free to correct me if wrong

Not positive, but i think it says in the directdraw header(or whatever your using). I recall something like:
#define DIRECTXVERSION 0x5000 (THIS IS NOT EXACT).
stiltjack

:: blinks ::

heeelllooo everyone... reality check There''s no reason to program for an older version of dx (except if you want to use the ddraw7 of course). DirectX drivers are software, not hardware, and are upgraded accordingly.

Just use DX7 or DX8 ape, if you can actually find a person who isn''t using dx 8.1 runtime you should kindly point them to the windows update site and let them update it themselves.

DX 8.1 isn''t supported on Win95. Not sure how many people still have 95 but that might be a reason not to use the most current versions of DX. However since your using 2d and 7 was the last instance of ddraw (and by the sounds of it your not using d3d) it makes the most sense to just use that.