Good Books

Started by
6 comments, last by n3urai 22 years ago
I know there is a book review section in this site but i was wondering what books you guys read when you were just getting started with AI. Keep It Real!
Keep It Real!
Advertisement
Well, I don''t really thing there was a book on AI, just a script. I didn''t really care for the movie myself, but that kid started to act just like a human towards the end.
Rhino2876
Rhino2876, I think n3urai is talking about artificial intelligence programming not the movie AI. Anyways to answer your question n3urai, two most common books used by most universities and the books my professors use to teach introductory AI programming class would be "Artificial Intelligence" by Patrick Henry Winston, or "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" by Stuart J. Russell and Peter Norvig. These books introduces you to the many topics and concepts of AI programming and AI algorithms. They do not specifically relate to game programming but the concepts they present can be used in games. However, to understand these books you need a basic understanding of basic data structures and algorithms. Both are good although their writing styles are a bit different. Anyways good luck with AI programming.

Thanks alot, yeah those books you suggested look like very good books, but i was looking for game ai. I found the book "AI Game Programming Wisdom". It looks really good considering its the next in the series after game programming gems 1 and 2. I think i will get this book and wait until i take an AI class at my university to get the regular AI books. Thanks alot.

Keep It Real!
Keep It Real!
I was being sarcastic.
Rhino2876
n3urai,

Please do buy that book. I know a lot of people on this board would appreciate it...

Bob Scott
AI Programmer
Stainless Steel Studios
Bob ScottAI Designer/ProgrammerStainless Steel Studios
quote:Original post by rhino2876
Well, I don''t really thing there was a book on AI, just a script. I didn''t really care for the movie myself, but that kid started to act just like a human towards the end.

Actually, there was a book before the script. The book''s title is ''Supertoys last all summer long.''
I had a chance to look at the AI sections of the first two "Game Programming Gems" books. They were very good at breaking down the individual types of AI. You can see more about them (and other game programming books) on my site. Actually, you can link directly to the listings about them on Amazon (and even buy them from there!).

Dave Mark
President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

[edited by - InnocuousFox on March 30, 2002 7:29:28 PM]

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement