Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryacketta

Elevator List (eh?)

Was talking with a couple friends the other night and the topic of "Elevator List" spung up, with my ignorance in hand I steped up to the plate and was like "Huh?" what the puck is that *snicker* Well, to make a long story short I was baggered the rest of the night. So, I pose the question to the forum. What is a "Elevator List" from the little info I could get it has todo witha dbl linked list, with elements having priorities etc.. One chap said it is used in MMORPG''s alot. Any words of wisdom? places to read up on this beast? Regards, Ron

It's the list you sell to freshmen that shows them where the "Elevators" are in the school (when you're a Senior in High School).

http://www.angelfire.com/ab/papito81/elevator.html

EDIT: I did the search for you.

[edited by - BeerNutts on March 22, 2002 2:15:40 PM]

har har hardy har har har!

now the off topic post is out of the way (snicker) has anyone heard of this? used it before? it is game related and (from the info I did gather) used in MMORPG''s heavily.

Regards,
Ron

Guest Anonymous Poster
An ''Elevator list'' has to do with the elevator algorithm for disk management. It''s concerned with reading and writing disk blocks at an extremely, extermely low level of disk access.

Someone writing an OS or a database back end might need to know about these, but it''s not really a game development topic.

You *might* use this in a MMORPG but only if you were writing a custom DB for it, which seems pretty unlikely.

Hummm... surely there must be more than one type of Elevator List?

I''d guess that an elevator list is something to do with evolution and upgrading... a list of items where each item is one level ''higher'' than the previous...

Bah, just my thoughts on what ''Elevator List'' *should* mean, even if it doesn''t...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net