I wanna become a game programmer

Started by
11 comments, last by Mandeep 22 years ago
Can any one suggest to me a very good C++ book to learn to make games for beginners?
Msankoli
Advertisement
If you don''t know C++ already, you need to start by learning it, not learning specifically to write games. After you know the language, you can write games with it.

Probably any introductory C++ book will be fine.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Hello.

CGameProgammer is right: you need to learn a language first. I found Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days to be a great book. I have the ebook if you''re interested.

Minion
quote:Original post by Mandeep
Can any one suggest to me a very good C++ book to learn to make games for beginners?

I have to are with the above posts. You have to know C++ to write games in it. If your looking for a book I''ve had good luck with Wrox''s programming books.

Patrick
I agree as well.

Here''s the best thing to do, get a learn C++ in (20/60/48/whatever) days. You can get through it fast.

Then pick up something like (my fave) The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup the creator of C++) and experiment. Since you first started with the easy book you can pick and choose what advanced features of C++ you want to delve into.

No such thing as programming for games, games = programming + math + imagination. When it comes to programming just know the language as well as you can.
The best intro book i''ve read is the Waite Groups "intro to object oriented programming in c++" the Wrox books are good too. Personally I don''t like the "teach yourself XXX in 21 days" books because 1. they''re misleading (you can study a language for alot longer than 21 days and still not know it) 2. Also I tend to think they give people an overinflated expectation that programming is easy and "Hey, I can learn it in 21 days!"

Also, I recommend staying away from visual c++ books until you learn regular c++ programming. The visual c++ books concentrate on teaching the IDE and assume you know some c++ and to me they were VERY confusing because I didn''t know the basics.
I agree as well. But rather than get a book that teaches you the C++ language. I recommend that you get a book that teaches you programming concepts first but uses the C++ language to do so. Once you learn the programming concepts first, they can carry over from language to language. I found the "The computer science tapestry, Object Oriented Programming in C++" a great book that teaches C++ and programming concepts as well.
All books that focus on game programming have the text:

"This book assumes you already know C or C++"

You cannot build a house on sand.

ICQ #: 149510932

Google - OpenGL - DirectX - Windows Guide Network - MSDN - Symantec Virus Info

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Wrox have excellent books about C/C++/Visual C++.
quote:Original post by Ataru
Since you first started with the easy book you can pick and choose what advanced features of C++ you want to delve into.

A good idea... I had a 4 year background of VB when i moved over to C++ so i all i really used was a hefty reference book that will give me exactly what i want to know shortly, concisely, and to the point.

The idea about understanding programming concepts is a fundamental first step, this will tell you whether your cabable or wether you are still interested after you''ve learnt whats expected.

Then you can mould that into an understanding of an actual language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement