exporting x files in Maya 4

Started by
4 comments, last by coreydj 22 years ago
Ok... I''m using the skinned mesh example to test if my maya exporting works. I use the plug-in from the SDK extras to export maya 4 as an x file but there are problems with NURBS objects. No matter which options I choose I can not get the NURBS objects to convert/appear in the x.file (in the actual file there is no mesh info on them) I can use the option of not useing NURBS objects and converting everything to polygons but the documentation for the plugin states that it can export NURBS. I know everyone is going to say I am a wimp and should not use X files, and should create my own format and my own maya exporter, but with 2 weeks until this project is due for school I don''t have the time to do that. Thanks, Corey
Advertisement
Well why did you procrastinate in the first place?! =P

Please always have crap with .X files.

-------
"Programming is like sex make one mistake, and you have to support it forever."
Homepage: www.ussshrike.com/pcwebvia/
-------Homepage: http://www.pclx.com
"Please always have crap with .X files. "

meant to say

.X files always give crap.

Heh, I had to think fast.. in school.

-------
Everyone always talks about X-files having crap... But I can''t really see how much less you can put in a file.
All X-files have are mesh data (vertex, normals, duplication) frame data and animation data. All of which I need.
What exactly is so bloated about them?

I have modified it so I can trigger multiple animations from one file, but other than that I see nothing that wrong with them.
Well the thing is they aren''t user friendly and probably were ready for release in DX8.0 because I had trouble importing .X files a while ago. Other than that no hard feelings , I just import 3DS/OBJ these days.

-------
If anyone calls you a wimp for re-using code, they should go see a doctor. The time saved using the X-Files really helps out, and allows you to concentrate on other important parts of your project. I used to always write TrueSpace importers, and create my own custom handling (actually stil do) simply because I actually legally own the package. I have a basic understanding of the pros and cons of XFiles. If their abilities suit you, use them by all means!

I have never used Maya, so I can not help you. The exporter may need a division level detail setting for your nurbs before it can generate the polygons. Right now, it probably does not know if you want to divide that nurb into 5 polygons or 15, so it should not be up to the exporter to decide.

But stand proud! Especially against people who only have negative things to say and are reading gaming forums during class. Even if it is Botony

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement