VC++ or C++ plus some VB.NET.

Started by
5 comments, last by J e s t e r 22 years ago
Before I really get into this, I have a few questions. Bare with me, as I''m just as confused as you probly will be after reading this. Are modern games written like a DOS console or as a Win32 app? Say like Quake3, it runs under windows, but does it run like say, DOOM, or more like.... Minesweep? Forgive the camparison.. I hope you can understand what I''m talking about. Basicly does it run with more Windows or More Dos involved. What Im getting at is would it be better to program with VC++ or just C++ or does it really matter?
12/32/84
Advertisement
Not sure what exactly you mean... They are compiled as win32 apps, they use the Windows API to open up a window, and all the other needed stuff so they can use DirectX or OpenGL in the window. But, no, they don''t run like a DOS app, they can/do use MESSAGES (used in the win32 API) and all to interact with the OS that they are on, which is Win32. Sorry if some of my terminology is confusing or not correct, anyone want to correct me ?
"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
Just so you know, VC++ is not a programming language. VC++ is Microsoft''s programming environment for C/C++. Games today are written using Window''s code, usually Direct X.
Ok, I found a post from Teej on the interactive tutorial forum:

Quote:

"At their core, our games are essentially going to be Windows applications. Writing a Windows application is entirely different than writing a console (DOS) application, and you’re going to know at least enough about Windows applications to get a game ‘wedged’ into the operating system."

Thats what I was trying to ask. Would it be better to
start off writing console apps, or Win32 apps in C++?

Or should I skip C++ and go straight to DirectX?

12/32/84
quote:Original post by J e s t e r
Thats what I was trying to ask. Would it be better to
start off writing console apps, or Win32 apps in C++?

If you are just learning C++, then start with console apps. These allow you to focus on learning the language itself, as opposed to the intricacies of the Win32 API.
quote:
Or should I skip C++ and go straight to DirectX?

Probably not a good idea, as DirectX requires knowledge of C/C++.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Thanks for the reply's. It's just that I'm
getting bored with the basic's. I know (sort of)
VB.NET and well its made it alot easier to learn
C++.

I have run into a few things that seem strange though.
Like converting variables.

In VB.NET you use something like:

Dim iNumber as Integer = 10
Dim sString as String

Some code...

Then later convert it to a string for example:

iNumber = CStr(sString)

Where C is short for convert.

Im a bit confused on coverting variables with C++.
Is there an online tutorial dealing with this?

[edited by - J e s t e r on March 23, 2002 11:14:54 AM]
12/32/84
The stringstream class is probably what you''re looking for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement