OpenGL game creation.

Started by
4 comments, last by J e s t e r 22 years, 1 month ago
Can I make complete games in OpenGL? Or Design Levels? Or would I need an engine? Also, would it help if I know C++? heh, just trying to jump in head first agian. Thanks
12/32/84
Advertisement
quote:Original post by J e s t e r
Can I make complete games in OpenGL?

No, but you can use OpenGL as the graphics API for your game.
quote:
Or Design Levels?

That''s not something which OpenGL is responsible for.
quote:
Or would I need an engine?

You would indeed.
quote:
Also, would it help if I know C++?

Yes. Yes it would. You will need to know at least one programming language if you intend to create games with OpenGL, and C++ is as good a choice as any.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by J e s t e r
Or would I need an engine?

Well, the OpenGL part would be a piece of an engine that you create to make games. Other parts would include sound, AI, input, etc... So, you can use it to make games yes, but alone no.

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

Just to clarify, OpenGL draws triangles and does stuff related to drawing triangles. Thats really about all it does. You have to put in all of the logic except the putting the triangles on the screen part.
Thanks everyone

Guess its back to the Beginners Forum I go.
12/32/84
and make sure you get back

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement