MFC or Win32 SDK ???

Started by
15 comments, last by krad7 22 years, 1 month ago
hi i have a Q for all the game developers out there.. what do you guys use to program games.. MFC or Win32 SDK ??? i personally prefer Win32 SDK, i know MFC makes your life kinda simpler cause it has a lot of classes and stuff.. but when it comes to performance i think win32 sdk is better, am i right or wrong? i use win32 sdk for programming my games and apps, is it better to shift to mfc??? Slow and steady wins the race.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Advertisement
You have a Q eh? Is it for free?

I myself use Win32 SDK. MFC is nice and easy, but it''s design was not made for games.
Q i mean question not Queue or something else..
hey can you guys think of a work that starts with Q but not U following it? please dont make up any words.. only english words.. anywayz personall SDK rox !! i like it far better than mfc..

Personally I very like MFC and it is not such simple. But making 3D games in MFC is very difficult, because it is not made for games. I advice OpenGL or DirectX for games.
A word beginning with Q but without U as a second letter, easy:

-Qwerty

It is a real word. A qwerty keyboard is the standard english typewriter or computer keyboard, with the characters Q,W,E,R,T and Y at the top of the keyboard!

Hehe, I'm good.

-Weasalmongler (it is in the dictionary, I checked!)

P.S. - Win32 SDK is the way to go, I have always used it and I always will use it, until Microsoft Windows ceases to be the main computer OS.

(P.P.S - Did I get the answer right? And if so, do I win a pretty gold star?)

[edited by - weasalmongler on March 23, 2002 7:36:22 AM]

[edited by - weasalmongler on March 23, 2002 10:04:10 AM]
I use them both. With MFC it''s easy to create simple windowed applications that don''t need to be fast (like map-editors & model viewers) Win32 API seems to be better for anything else.
He asked about games. For anything that has to be real-time (like most games), use the raw API. Otherwise, wrappers such as MFC are just fine.
I don''t really see much that could be done with Win32 API for a game, which use DirectX or OpenGL API, so use MFC for all your windows stuff, unleas you really want to optimize your scroll-bar .

I think he meant QP = Quarter Pound
Use platform SDK for game engines, and MFC for game tools, where performance does not matter.

Hi there!

Correct me if I''m wrong. Your program is structured in this way isn''t it:
WinMain(){    // Init stuff    ...    if (PeekMessage(...))    {        // Handle it        ...    }    else    {        // Do useful stuff        GameLoop();    }} 

Your game loop updates the world and renders it, supposedly with D3D or OGL. You most likely use DINPUT and not windows messages for input.

Now how exactly does MFC slow your game down? >99% of the time your game will execute the GameLoop() function, which has no relation to windowing code. Regardless of whether your WndProc is written by you in plain Win32 or it''s hidden in MFC42.DLL, it doesn''t get called!

Don''t forget that MFC provides you with a load of debugging tools. Sure you can use STL, but does your STL ASSERT when you pass -1 to vector''s operator []?

Unless you are writing a 64K demo, I have yet to see a good reason not to use MFC in every program that creates a window.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement