Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multiple coloured layers / textures

This topic is 5744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This should be a simple question to all those DirectX guru''s out there. I''m in the midst of creating my directx based backend for my engine, and I have already completed my Opengl one. It is all based on a simple surface scripting language (aka shaders), and it supports layers - which are loosely deemed to be rendering passes. In these layers you can assign colour values from the surface, internal engine colour array, a constant colour, or some other function that generates a colour. Now in opengl this was simple to render, just make an array of the necessary size and pass it to the rendering API through the glColorPointer function. But in directX I can only seem to be able to specify only one colour array or one colour value per point / vertex. And thus my rendering loop would have to assign colour values replcing the existing one''s in the Vertex buffer each iteration through the main rendering loop (i.e. where I used to put glColorPointer). Now one way that I see to do this in DX is to omit the color info from the Vertexbuffer, and instead specify a material each time. So the loop would be: (OpenGL) for each layer in surface setcolour[layer] settexture[layer] setvertecies setnormals ... etc drawelements (directx) setstream settexture setmaterial is this the only way? or does anyone know a funkier way of doing more than one colour in the whole surface by say using either pixel or vertex shaders? Dæmin (Dominik Grabiec) dominik.grabiec@student.adelaide.edu.au