USER.DAT file

Started by
4 comments, last by shuks 22 years ago
I am curious to know whether anybody uses the user.dat file to store their program''s data. Does this file also exist in win2000 and XP? Do you access this file as you do with other files(using code)? I opened it in notepad and got a combination of next and weird symbols. Is there a way of seeing whats behind these symbols? Any comment would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Uhm... that''s part of the registry. Don''t touch it. It''s about the most unsuited place to store data!
quote:Original post by shuks
I am curious to know whether anybody uses the user.dat file to store their program''s data. Does this file also exist in win2000 and XP?
Do you access this file as you do with other files(using code)? I opened it in notepad and got a combination of next and weird symbols. Is there a way of seeing whats behind these symbols?

Any comment would be appreciated.

In order to open that file, you need to know the format in which it was saved. And I''m not sure if Microshaft released the info or not but All I can say, as was already mentionned, don''t touch any registry file unless you really know what you''re doing.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
cyberdrek@gdnmail.net
Founder Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
There are some specs on the net about the file format of the registry, www.wotsit.org has some I think. However directly accessing the registry file is very bad and will likely screw up your system to the point of requiring a reinstall. Learn the api commands to access the registry, its actually alot easier than doing all the file parsing yourself.
Thanks for all the info.
Users.dat is part of the registry which is made up of the following files :
System.dat - contains most of the registry including the local machine key.
User.dat - contains user specific info (the USER and CURRENT_User keys) and user application data.
Classes.dat - (Available on Win Me/2000/XP)Stores file association info

You write and read data from the registry using the win32 api functions contained in advapi32.dll such as RegOpenKey()RegCloseKey() etc

For more info..look around

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement