me=new [3D]

Started by
5 comments, last by remi 22 years ago
i''ve been programming directx(DDRAW) for some few months and i''m wondering to where i should start 3D. Should i just continue with Direct3D or it should be much easier to first step on Opengl? What do u think...?
"...and we all know what "undefined" means: it means it works during development, it works during testing, and it blows up in your most important customers' faces."----------Scott Meyers, "Effective C++"
Advertisement
glide3x.dll

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
sorry Jenova,
i''m not sure to understand what u mean by "glide3x.dll". I''m really NEW to 3D.
Thankx
"...and we all know what "undefined" means: it means it works during development, it works during testing, and it blows up in your most important customers' faces."----------Scott Meyers, "Effective C++"
He was joking refering to an deprecated API called GLIDE for the 3Dfx Voodoo cards.

You might find more infos about OpenGL (tuts, papers...) than about DirectGraphics (as it is now called).

Basically DirectGraphics is a copy of OpenGL (which is the mainstream API since plenty of years, in the high end (pro) market).

Try to learn them both (at least the basics) and choose whichever you prefer, at a time or another you''ll learn the other if you''re serious about what you do.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
hmmm... ,then we learn .
to see if you realy know what your doing ,go to these sights to better understand 3d www.3dworldmag.com
www.computerarts.co.uk
www.raph.com/3dartists
www.digitalblasphemy.com
www.3dcafe.com
www.blackfeet.com
www.3dsite.com
avalon1.viewpoint.com
www.3dtotal.com
www.webreference.com/3d
www.digitalproducer.com
www.3drender.com
www.3dark.com
http://zone3d.com
www.3dluvr.com

know you know what you dealing with you can better understand what you must do...

lol jenova "thinking''
OpenGL tutorials are at http://nehe.gamedev.net
Direct3D tutorials are included in DX SDK.
Look at both and see which ones you prefer.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
Depracated? Depracated?!!

Remi, I''m currently enrolled in an OpenGL course over at www.gameinstitute.com, and OpenGL is very simple to start programming. Particularly if you''re using GLUT. The function calls are all C functions.

Conversely, DirectGraphics programming is simple as well, but it''s better to have a strong grasp on COM objects, C++, and OOP before tackling DirectX in any form. Since you''re already apparently experienced with DDraw, you could take a look at this as well.

Finally, if you have a Voodoo card and want some serious exposure to to-the-hardware 3D programming, check out this set of tutorials for 3dfx Glide! http://www.voodooextreme.com/glide3tutorial/ ... Obviously this is an outdated API, but it''s fun to play around with because it''s very easy to set up and utilize. It also is a C-only API, and smacks of OpenGL influence. It also is a triangle-renderer, not a 3D polygon renderer, so be prepared to learn some math. If you need the SDKs, let me know and I can get them to you.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement