Red Hats Tooo big

Started by
16 comments, last by ank2 22 years ago
quote:It can. Make the clear distinction between the operating system and the installer;

I know the operating system will easily run on my PC but I don't understand why red hat thinks just because an install is graphical it makes things easy. Personally I think that a text install can be just as easy if done right. SuSE did something similar but at least they gave a good alternative.

[edited by - ank2 on March 25, 2002 5:56:54 AM]
Group Who
Advertisement
quote:Original post by ank2
...I don''t understand why red hat thinks just because an install is graphical it makes things easy. Personally I think that a text install can be just as easy if done right.

Tell that to the average Windows user, Red Hat''s target audience for it''s desktop install. RH7.0 was the first to feature a graphical install. 6.0 had a "graphical text" install.

quote:SuSE did something similar but at least they gave a good alternative.

But why would anyone not want to use YaST?!

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
What are you complaining about, you try to fit a recommended 32MB system on a 16 MB machine ?
You obviously selected the wrong distro for your low performance system.
Now, I agree with you that Redhat is resources hungry, but it is more oriented to people who are used to the bells and whistles of a Windows or Macintosh operating system type like.
The title of your post is misleading, it should have been:
"My system is too small " or "I selected the wrong distro "
You looks like the perfect candidate to install a Linux from scratch distribution. You know, the kind of distro that fits on a single floppy.
If you really want to install RH7.1 at any cost maybe you should get an extra 16 Mb of ram ( an extra GB on your hard disk wouldn''t hurt too )
I hope this helps.

quote:But why would anyone not want to use YaST?!

Exactly and graphical text installs are easy anyway why have something like YaST2 that takes up space?

quote:you try to fit a recommended 32MB system on a 16 MB machine

The copy of Red Hat I got came with a book. On the back of the book it stated that it would run on a 16MB machine with something like 486 minimum processor and 800MB hard disk space. My machine was better then the minimum spec so I bought the book. As soon as I found out that the minimum spec didn't work I got myself a refund.

quote:Now, I agree with you that Redhat is resources hungry, but it is more oriented to people who are used to the bells and whistles of a Windows or Macintosh operating system type like.

I would agree if it was any other operating system but at the moment very few typical home users have linux installed on there machines (at least here in the UK). Most of the people with linux installed on there machine are ethier hackers, IT specilists or students on advanced courses. All of these people should hav no trouble installing linux useing something like YaST or debains installer.
But your right I selected the wrong distro, next time i'll check the books website before getting th book.

[edited by - ank2 on March 26, 2002 5:17:43 AM]
Group Who
I understand your frustration when trying to install any kind of software , on a system that just meets the minimum requirement.
I''ve been there, done that and ended upset too.
I think that software company are guilty too by "lowering" the minimum requirement of a system so they can sell a maximum number of copies.
My rules are:
1) NEVER install any software on a system that just meets the minimum specs required by the software company ( be it a game or an operating system )
2) If you install it on a system that meets the suggested optimum hardwarer requirment expect it to run slowly
3) Take the optimum suggested specs ( amount of ram, hard disk space or processor speed ) and multiply them by 2 in order to get good performances.

quote:Original post by Biased turkey
My rules are:
1) NEVER install any software on a system that just meets the minimum specs required by the software company ( be it a game or an operating system )
2) If you install it on a system that meets the suggested optimum hardwarer requirment expect it to run slowly
3) Take the optimum suggested specs ( amount of ram, hard disk space or processor speed ) and multiply them by 2 in order to get good performances.

I know. In another case I would never have bought it, just I had such a good install with SuSE I mistakenly expected the same from Red Hat. But I don''t think performance would have been too bad if I had gotten past the install(with linux being so configureable).
Group Who
I don''t remember you mentioning the type of installation used, is it the default or the expert mode ?
In expert mode, you can select the installed packages and choose if you want use a desktop environment, like gnome or kde ( these desktops of course require a lot of memory and disk space )
I don''t remember if you have the choice of deselecting the Linux graphic mode XFree86 , installing and running Redhat7.1 in pure text console mode
Maybe Redhat should add a chapter in their documentation:
ScrewingthecustomerHOWTO
quote:Original post by Biased turkey
I don''t remember you mentioning the type of installation used, is it the default or the expert mode ?

I tried both then I tried all the command line options that are supposed to help lower the amount of RAM used. Unfortuneatly nothing worked.

quote:( these desktops of course require a lot of memory and disk space )

Already tried them, they both work pretty well on my PC(except the start-up). Other window managers like icewm and BlackBox work VERY fast.

quote:ScrewingthecustomerHOWTO

True.
But I would still like to know what I am missing. Does Red Hat have anything that SuSE doesn''t?
Group Who

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement