Red Hats Tooo big

Started by
16 comments, last by ank2 22 years ago
I have just got Red Hat 7.1 and it will not install on my computer. It says on the book cover that a minimum of 16MB is required and 32MB is reccomended. This is the same that SuSE asks for. But every time I try to install Red Hat it tells me I don''t have enough memory. Why? I have a P166 with 16MB of RAM and a 1.5GB harddrive. This seemed to be enough for SuSE. What if I installed Red Hat using the from the hard drive option? would that work? if so how would I go about doing this? NOTE: I already have Suse installed.
Group Who
Advertisement
are you getting that message right at the start of the instalation? I guess some packages might need more memory, but the kernel and the base files shouldnt, if you are getting this message during the instalation of a package, deselect it and try again, also, you might want to try the text mode instalation, which should be easier on your amount of memory than the default graphical instalation.

I tried the text installation by typing in
linux text
and pressing enter. Then it tells me I don''t have enough memory.
Group Who
I had the same problem. Despite what RedHat says, I think you do need at least 32MB minimum to install, at least for 7.1. If I remember, RH 6.2 could install on 16MB.

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Is there any command line options that will help or will booting from a diskette help?
Group Who
Thanks for your help everyone but since I couldn''t get it working I replaced it with another book and am now sticking with SuSE.
I can''t believe that it won''t install on my computer. I mean thats one of the biggest plus points of linux, the fact that it will work on almost every computer. Even WINDOWS installs on my machine, why can''t Red Hat?
Is there a distrobution that you guys would you recommend for my system? Something with an installation no more complicated then SuSE or debian.
Group Who
I think its partly because RedHat tries to be a power horse server and would need some extra memory and the such. As for other distros, I''ve only used 2 and that was Slackware 3.0 and Redhat. Never tried SuSe or Debian. Slackware''s install was a bit different from the others, didn''t really have a gui installer, it was more text based, and you would select packages like the A set, N set and the such, and it would ask you which individual programs you wanted to install. I don''t know if they still do this in 7.0+ or not.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
quote:Original post by Hitchhiker90
Slackware''s install was a bit different from the others, didn''t really have a gui installer, it was more text based, and you would select packages like the A set, N set and the such, and it would ask you which individual programs you wanted to install. I don''t know if they still do this in 7.0+ or not.

That sounds just like what I saw in Slackware 8.0''s installer.

Yes, Slackware is still doing that, an in fact, the text installation of slackware can run on even less that 16mb of ram

quote:Original post by ank2
I can''t believe that it won''t install on my computer. I mean thats one of the biggest plus points of linux, the fact that it will work on almost every computer. Even WINDOWS installs on my machine, why can''t Red Hat?

It can. Make the clear distinction between the operating system and the installer; the installer may have failed to run on your system for a number of reasons (and I would advise you a.) check RedHat Bugzilla for any known issues with your hardware; and b.) contact RedHat support/customer services). The operating system itself can still run on your hardware.

To further explain, a columnist for the now defunct Maximum Linux magazine wasn''t able to install any version of Linux onto her Sony Vaio laptop computer, so she went to an installfest at her local LUG (Linux Users Group) where the hard drive was removed, slaved to another machine, and Linux was installed that way. It voided her warranty, but she got the penguin on her boxette.

Since Linux is free software and generally unsupported by vendors (except those that make certain sever peripherals/components), hardware compatibility issues remain one of the biggest thorns in the side of Linux. The other is productivity software.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement