Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Libery?

This topic is 5742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I have done a couple of games with allegro but I´m a bit tired of it being dos only and not supporting my sound card (creative soundblaster live 5.1). I also want to learn more 3d openGL programming. Shall I go with Dirext X or is there better libs for games? Thanxs!

If you want to do 3D, ClanLib has an OpenGL wrapper natively, while the other libraries mentioned above require add-on OpenGL wrappers. CDX seems to be very high level supporting sprites and stuff, and SDL has lots of addon libs. All libraries have its advantages, depends what suits you. Ive heard good stuff about PLib too. I also thought allegro has windows port, but the above mentioned libraries are all better than allegro imo.

quote:
Original post by Tylon
If you want to do 3D, ClanLib has an OpenGL wrapper natively, while the other libraries mentioned above require add-on OpenGL wrappers.

SDL just plain lets you use OpenGL. It doesn''t use any wrapper beyond the ''window creation'' and OpenGL setup stuff and it doesn''t need any add-ons.