weird framrate issue

Started by
5 comments, last by GekkoCube 22 years ago
All Im doing is drawing a skybox (5 quads), a floor (1 quad). When i stand in the vicinity of the middle of the floor, my framerate drops to 40. If i stand anywhere else, i get anywhere from 70-80 fps! Anybody have any experience/clues as to what might be causing this unusual hitch? ~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~
Advertisement
are you using texture filtering for the floor?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - TOOL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[TheBlackJester]

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

i am doing...

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);

But that still doesnt explain a huge loss in framerate just because im standing in the middle OR because im looking at a big portion of the room.

NOTE: I have my floor texture tiled by 14.

~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~
A/ make the screem 320x240, what are the 2 results now?
+
B/ disable the texturing, what are the 2 results now?

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
I think you are right about this!
I changed my texuring to be 1 large texture map, i get much better framerates.
I also disabled the texture filtering, i get consistent 80fps.

It appears that the greater numbers of tiles for the texture, the greater the loss.
But I never wouldve guessed this!
Unless Im doing something terribly inefficient in drawing the floor - i have no clue.

~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~
I''ve seen where high rates of texture repeat can cause a slowdown, perhaps all that normalization?

Is the floor 1 big quad vs. say a 14x14 mesh, each cell with a single texture repeat?

zin

zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less
zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less
using smaller polygons is always faster than using one pig polygon
optimal size is 256*256 and a texture of 128*128 so you overscale the texture a bit and voila you have a good looking
and faster to render terrain without stupid repeating of the same texture
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement