• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GekkoCube

applying AI to 3d models.

This topic is 6052 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have these 3d models (quake2 models) in my 3d world. All Im doing now is loading them, animating them, and drawing them to the screen. I have 5 models (same model) displayed, and they all face to the right be default. I can I figure out which way they are facing, programmatically that is? I basically want these 3d models to be running around and doing stuff...like they have some intelligence. So I need to know the basic orientation of a model so that when it walks, it walks correctly! I appreciate any help! ~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

Advertisement
I thought about that...but it doesnt seem very robust.
I was wondering if the MD2 model stores any infor about the default looking direction?

Otherwise I might have to take your advice, although I am convinced that that is not how Quake2 did it!

~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

Just tell your modelers to model the characters with there nose pointing down the z axis and there left ear pointing down the x axis, and there head pointing up the y axis.

Wolfman has the best idea. I would hope that you have a baseline that all models you build follow. That way, when you load them - you will KNOW their oriantations right off the bat.

Oh well,
Landsknecht

Oh. Well heres the catch!

Im not a game developer - not professionally anyways - and not yet anyways....i just do this stuff as a hobby.

And I dont have an artist, and I dont make models myself.
I download the models!
So, im assuming all MD2 models face the right by default?

~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!