applying AI to 3d models.

Started by
5 comments, last by GekkoCube 22 years ago
So I have these 3d models (quake2 models) in my 3d world. All Im doing now is loading them, animating them, and drawing them to the screen. I have 5 models (same model) displayed, and they all face to the right be default. I can I figure out which way they are facing, programmatically that is? I basically want these 3d models to be running around and doing stuff...like they have some intelligence. So I need to know the basic orientation of a model so that when it walks, it walks correctly! I appreciate any help! ~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~
Advertisement
Then if you know that they''re all pointing to the right by default, just store the rotation (eg: Pointing at...) vector somewhere, and update it each time you rotate.

Oli

All the best problems start with C

.:: K o s m o s E n g i n e ::.
Then if you know that they''re all pointing to the right by default, just store the rotation (eg: Pointing at...) vector somewhere, and update it each time you rotate.

Oli

All the best problems start with C

.:: K o s m o s E n g i n e ::.
I thought about that...but it doesnt seem very robust.
I was wondering if the MD2 model stores any infor about the default looking direction?

Otherwise I might have to take your advice, although I am convinced that that is not how Quake2 did it!

~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~
Just tell your modelers to model the characters with there nose pointing down the z axis and there left ear pointing down the x axis, and there head pointing up the y axis.
Wolfman has the best idea. I would hope that you have a baseline that all models you build follow. That way, when you load them - you will KNOW their oriantations right off the bat.

Oh well,
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Oh. Well heres the catch!

Im not a game developer - not professionally anyways - and not yet anyways....i just do this stuff as a hobby.

And I dont have an artist, and I dont make models myself.
I download the models!
So, im assuming all MD2 models face the right by default?

~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement