Learning C++ (Valid Question to all starting out)

Started by
8 comments, last by Gorf 22 years ago
Okay I want to build up to a point where I can make some kind of 2d RPG and I was wondering if someone can make a list of what type of stuff I should start with and then build up to a 2D RPG, like for example pong tetris pacman well whatever hehe Also thanx to anyone who give me decent input.
Advertisement
Aside from the articles and resources links above, you might also find this site interesting: 2D game tutorial
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
First off if you get into programming for a specific goal (ie to make a RPG) you probably will fail. Programming is about more than just creating a game. But enough politics.

I suggest if you want to make a 2d rpg you focus on game creation systems like RPG-make 2k, VERGE and others that allow you to make RPGS with minimal coding.

However if you want to make some simple games your ideas about making classic games tend to work fine.
We could give you a list of a hundred things but it doesn''t mean that they have to be done before you make your RPG. As with all projects, it''s not just getting it done so you can move on. It''s how well you did that project and will people notice it. So what I say, is make some simple games, but make them well. And then when you think your ready. Then go for your RPG (and don''t quit on it). Never quit on any project! Good luck

I sure hope this world isn''t one big joke, because I don''t get it.
Thanks for the input on and no Jindo, I''m starting college in 6 months and me and my friend are starting to learn C++ and get some stuff done so we can start working on a game around the time we start college, we will be roomates, so I was just asking for some input on it. We both share common Ideas on games and programming and the two combined hehe. Sure we will do other things but we have a zest for programming games.
quote:Original post by Jindocai
First off if you get into programming for a specific goal (ie to make a RPG) you probably will fail.

That''s the stupidest piece of conjecture I''ve heard in a couple of days.
Ya I agree hehe
"Never quit on any project..." Bah, I quit on a few projects all ready. Look where I am! Wait, I haven''t achieved anything... Well I tried to create a text-based, choose-your-own-adventure thing but that kinda failed since I didn''t know anything after loops. Well I need help.

Midnight Gaming - www.midnightgaming.com
I got into college w00t lol. Ya I started making mods for the time being not really programming but still neat.
Try the site a "www.gametutorials.com"

A very good site for c/c++, opengl, win32, etc. It also has a tutorial on making atext adventure game. You must have a lot of patience, though. Once your graps a fluent understanding of c++ let your imagination run wild. Good luck!

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

[edited by - cMADsc on April 3, 2002 2:43:00 PM]
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement