Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xanthen

Storm opengl engine download!! Its a playable minigame too.

Sorry for crossposting but I don't think many people will mind. "Storm" 3D Engine tech demo 1 has been released! Here's a taster of what the demo looks like: You can see some more screenshots and discover more at http://www.planetquake.com/tdk/new/ *** To download the file, go to the link above! It is a 3d fixed-view hack'n'slash adventure, which is still in alpha stages. This is essentially a tech demo, to show off how good it all looks. *** NOTE! You can change the video resolution in the "options.inf" file in the base directory. Just enter a normal resolution value! Please download it and tell us what you think! Edited by - Xanthen on March 24, 2002 11:41:19 AM

looks great, but those damn troll/orc thingys take too long to die.

Was wondering if you could lend any advice on how to do texture transitions. Whether it be an explanation of how you did it, or if you know of any websites/tutorials about it.

Scott

------------------------------------------------------------
Email
Website

"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."

No it is not a TC or Mod of any version of quake. Its just on planetquake because thats the only free webspace I have available.

The texture transitioning is not too unlike that of isometric engines. Look for information on how transitioning occurs in those and then apply it to 3d.

Thanks for the encouragement, need a boost some times after working on it for a long time.

Xan

For those who have tried it out. Do you think I have enough done to go to employers? Are there any particular areas I should work on before I do that?

quote:
Original post by Xanthen
No it is not a TC or Mod of any version of quake. Its just on planetquake because thats the only free webspace I have available.

Ah, I see. It looks absolutely smashing! I might try it out and get you some feedback.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! | Asking Smart Questions ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Im just starting to learn OpenGL (Final year computer Science course at uni), and I am constantly being amazed to see what people have come up with.

Storm is brill! The character animations are superb and I can see this becoming a really good game.

Well done and keep it up!

WOW. That is truly impressive, I only wish I could write OpenGL games like that. The graphics and the speed are incredible.

Keep it up!

I wish I could make tetris games with opengl ...
hehe
Good Job.
Just one questions , how long took you to make this demo ?

follow up on my previous post of the texturing.

I''m just reading through "The Storm Editor gallery", which I find very impressive by the way, and I noticed you say you need to draw in the texture transitions. Do you do that by hand, or does the program figure them out?

That''s where i''m at in the project i''m working on, and so far i''m just adding them by hand, however, my world is going to be quite large, so it will take a lot of time when it comes to creating the world.

I briefly tried to figure out a way to calculate with transition tiles are needed where, but there are so many variations.

But anyways, your demo look and runs great.
Good luck,
Scott

Email
Website

"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."

Guest Anonymous Poster
Xanthen, that is very cool. If you showed this to any self-respecting developer you would be seriously considered for a junior programming position.

People who can do stuff like this are worth more than anybody with a degree (if you have one, bonus!).

Keep up the good work (same for your team members)...!

wojtos: No, the program does not automatically determine what transition goes where. First reason being transition textures aren''t associated with detail textures in any way. Second, doing so would limit the artistic options. When I said draw in the textures... it feels like a drawing program, but in reality I am just placing the transition textures. And yes there are too many variations thats why the transition texture is put together in software and then saved.

Tadeu: As far as the demo in concerned, I''ve been working on it hard since right after christmas. And then there was a month of work back two years ago when I first started the terrain engine. At both these times I was unemployed and working on it full time 12+ hours a day. In actuality though, I spend an enormous amount of time managing and recruiting. So I would say I have about 3 months of programming at an average of 8 hours a day.

Xan