Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simple derived classes and their design.

This topic is 5748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im not sure how to design my engine. I have 3d models display in my world, and would like them to do different things based on some criteria (AI). So i create an AI class, and quickly realized that I should create a sub class that derives from AI, AI_MD2. Class AI has several methods. And im trying to use those methods thru an instance of AI_MD2. I get errors, compiler complains about not being able to access public members from the method. Why? Finally, am I appreaching this whole AI thing correctly? I created the sub class, AI_MD2, because all my model specific stuff, such as animations/frames, states,...etc should be kept in a nice data structure - the class! Even better...is there a sample/demo/tutorial on game AI with some sourcecode? that would help a thousand times more. Thanks. ~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

quote:
Original post by GekkoCube
I have 3d models display in my world, and would like them to do different things based on some criteria (AI).

Either use templates as a Policy class
template <class AI_Type> class Model {...}
or give the Model class a member pointer to the base AI class, with derived AI classes implementing different behaviours.

quote:

So i create an AI class, and quickly realized that I should create a sub class that derives from AI, AI_MD2.
I created the sub class, AI_MD2, because all my model specific stuff, such as animations/frames, states,...etc should be kept in a nice data structure - the class!

What does animation and such "model specific stuff" has to do with AI ? It should be held in the "Model" class, which has an AI, not is an AI.

Inheritance = is a, Aggregation = has a.

quote:

Class AI has several methods. And im trying to use those methods thru an instance of AI_MD2. I get errors, compiler complains about not being able to access public members from the method. Why?

Without seeing the code/declarations... who knows.

quote:

Finally, am I appreaching this whole AI thing correctly?

The model should ask the AI what to do, based on it current situation; then the model does it.

quote:

~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

Good !