Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good enough Book ??

This topic is 5743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i am a beginner to directX and would like to know whether Andrew Lamothe''s book :- "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" will be a good enough book?? I read somewhere that it focuses on directX 6 and with directX 8.1 being the latest norm will the book be a good buy for a beginner like me ??? if not then could you please suggest any other book wich focuses on directX for beginners!! and covers all the essential items like directdraw,play,music,3d and so on and so forth.. G-A-M-I-N-G (Tht''s how u spell LIFE) !!

I think Lamothe writes code that is a little hard to understand for beginners.

What are your goals with gameprogramming, 3d or purely 2d?
DirectDraw is dropped from version 8, (Its still there from the previous version ofcourse) so if you only want to do 3d programming, get a 3d book for dx8 and brush up your math.

/Johan

If you don''t have any experience in 2d programming, start with directdraw, using dx6. (is there a dx7 by the way?).

When you got a hold of the 2d fundamentals you can start looking at 3d. In dx8 you use the 3d "functions" to generate 2d graphics. This might sound weird, but the results looks the same and you get to use all the HW acceleration the card might be offering).

So doing 2d with directx8 is harder than 2d with directdraw.

I agree. If you''re just starting out with directx, start by using directdraw (dx7). I personally like Andre''s book and thought it was a big help. However, I had some problems with some of his graphics code, particularly the bitmap loading function. There are utilities that can help you out with loading bitmaps that come with the dx7 sdk. The files you will want are in the mssdk/samples folder (not sure if that''s exactly it, but it''s in a samples folder under the sdk root folder) and it''s called something like utils.h/cpp or ddutils.h/cpp or something like that. The function you will particularly want to use from this file is called DDLoadBitmap(), which loads a bitmap onto a directdraw surface, which you can then use to render to the screen.