Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daimoneakit

Webcam & OGL?

Does anybody know a tutorial of how to implement a live-straming from a webcam in an Fullscreen-GL-Application? Thanx for your help! Thrust me, i know what i''m doing

People are just beginning to use OpenGL to create real time effects for their video, but I don't think there are any for using GL with video. OpenGL is generally pretty slow for this type of stuff because you'd need to transfer video images to the graphics card each frame.

What, specifically, are you looking to do?

[edited by - DANNER on March 25, 2002 4:16:20 PM]

Hi!

Nehe''s tut 36 may help you...

http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorials/lesson36.asp

I think it uses Video For Windows...
Stephane

It isn''t uncommon to render directly to a texture and then use that texture to draw two triangles on the screen.

This allows you to do things like apply bi-linear filtering to movies (I know that cards do this automatically now, but it used to be a big deal).

You can also do things like apply bump-mapping to each frame. Why? I''m not sure why, but that wasn''t the question. I know that the Windows version of Snes9X (a SNES emulator) lets you do this, and it adds a pretty neat lighting effect to your SNES games. It''s really just fun to play with, but doesn''t really enhance the image that much.

I think it would be very useful for rotating images and projecting videos into space. You could also alpha-blend a video on top of another (which would allow for hardware-accelerated scene changes).

But OpenGL alone will not be enough. You will need other libaries for decoding the video stream. I''m not even sure of how to get the video onto a texture, but I would guess it is as simple as locking the texture and writing to video memory.

--TheMuuj

@DANNER:
I''m trying to realize a kind of video&voice-chat app for a role-playing game like "Das schwarze Auge" / The black eye.
It will run in fullscreen, show "live" shots from webcams (if available)and player statistics. You also may choose between voice or text chat. The master will have some special features. So he will be able to scan a pic or plan in by a scanner and show it full (or partwise) to the group.

@SharkOne+bios10h:
Thanks for the links

Thrust me, i know what i''m doing