Amount of textures roof?

Started by
1 comment, last by Gee 22 years, 1 month ago
I''m about to start a new little 3-D game... And I was just wondering what the limit of all my textures should be? I mean, all textures loaded in to RAM at once... Where should I set the roof? 1MB? 4MB? 16MB? I mean, I know I will load in _ALOT_ more than 1MB textures at once. But is 4MB good then? One character will probably have a 256x256x3 texture... And with 5 different characters I''m up to 1 meg (using standard BMPs)... My question is basically what kind of graphics card should an amature game be optimized for these days?
---GUI Programming Division Manager at Wildfire Gamesworking on the 0 A.D. project
Advertisement
Use high-res textures with texture compression. As long as the app runs smooth(all textures fit in video memory) at 1024x768x32bit with 64 MB gfx card increase texture resolution, Soon everybody will have at least 64 MB video memory.

-Lev
do what i do (+ a lot of other games)
store them at the highest resolution + just have a slider which enables the user to select what size they want eg
1024x1024 sized texture
if texture detail level is set to highest then the 1024x1024 sized texture is used
if its medium then its resized to 512x512
if its lowest/quickest its 256x256

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement