Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drawing a pyramid out of the axis vector and the base lenght

This topic is 5737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I would like to know if anybody could help me with my problem. For a programm i want to write i need to create a function that does this: The function takes two vectors (e.g. 10,10,5 and 5,3,4) and a float (e.g. 3). The function should then draw a pyramid with the top at 15, 13, 9 (the two vectors added together) and the base running through 10,10,5, the base lenght should be 3. I thought I could do it with glRotate(angle, x, y, z); glTranslate(10.0, 10.0, 5.0); But my problem is that i don''t know how to extract the angle from the vector given (here 5, 3, 4). Is there a function similar to glRotate that does what i need? Thank you! Lizzard

You can get an angle from the dot product. By definition,
AdotB = A B cos(a),
where A and B are the lengths of the vectors and a is the angle between them. Also,
AdotB = A.x*B.x + A.y*B.y + A.z*B.z.
Using these two formulas, you can calculate the angle.

For a vector {v} = a{i} + b{j} + c{k} whose length is
l = sqrt(a*a + b*b + c*c)
the direction cosines are
cos(a) = a/l
cos(b) = b/l
cos(c) = c/l

Is this what your after? I''m not sure what you want to do. You want to draw the edges or faces? of a pyramid. That would be 5 vertices, 8 edges, and 5 faces, correct?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thank you IndirectX and j p!

I figured out something with the 3 angles:

void xtraquad(float x, float y, float z)
{
float len = (float)sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z);
float piover180 = 3.141592654f/180.0f;
float other = (float) 1/ piover180;
float xang = (float)(other*acos(x/len));
float yang = (float)(other*acos(y/len));
float zang = (float)(other*acos(z/len));
glRotatef(xang, 1,0,0);
glRotatef(yang, 0,1,0);
glRotatef(zang, 0,0,1);
quad();
}
//This function draws a cube whose axis is defined by the vector x, y, z.

But I wonder wheter it doesn''t matter in which order I rotate. But I had another idea how i could make it.

The axis vector is given. Then i would like to draw the cube along this vector, but using only one glRotatef. I do it like this: I take the vector that is given (x, y, z) and the y axis standard vector (0,1,0) with the cross product i get a vector (say a,b,c) that is rectangular to both of those vectors. By using the dot product i can find out the angle between the y axis and the given vector (e.g. alpha).
Then I use the function
glRotatef(alpha, a, b, c);

I think that should work.

>p j

It''s a general problem, sometimes i need the edges, sometimes the faces.

But what I m doing includes all kinds of objects. I want to build something like an editor by which you can create some objects and save those objects. And later I want to reuse this objects. For example i construct first a cube and a pyramid. Later i construct a house by putting some of the cubes and pyramids together. Later i could build a city by "recycling" the house i created. And that for I need a location vector and a direction vector.

Thanks again for your help!

Lizzard

Thank you IndirectX and j p!

I figured out something with the 3 angles:

void xtraquad(float x, float y, float z)
{
float len = (float)sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z);
float piover180 = 3.141592654f/180.0f;
float other = (float) 1/ piover180;
float xang = (float)(other*acos(x/len));
float yang = (float)(other*acos(y/len));
float zang = (float)(other*acos(z/len));
glRotatef(xang, 1,0,0);
glRotatef(yang, 0,1,0);
glRotatef(zang, 0,0,1);
quad();
}
//This function draws a cube whose axis is defined by the vector x, y, z.

But I wonder wheter it doesn''t matter in which order I rotate. But I had another idea how i could make it.

The axis vector is given. Then i would like to draw the cube along this vector, but using only one glRotatef. I do it like this: I take the vector that is given (x, y, z) and the y axis standard vector (0,1,0) with the cross product i get a vector (say a,b,c) that is rectangular to both of those vectors. By using the dot product i can find out the angle between the y axis and the given vector (e.g. alpha).
Then I use the function
glRotatef(alpha, a, b, c);

I think that should work.

>p j

It''s a general problem, sometimes i need the edges, sometimes the faces.

But what I m doing includes all kinds of objects. I want to build something like an editor by which you can create some objects and save those objects. And later I want to reuse this objects. For example i construct first a cube and a pyramid. Later i construct a house by putting some of the cubes and pyramids together. Later i could build a city by "recycling" the house i created. And that for I need a location vector and a direction vector.

Thanks again for your help!

Lizzard