Rendering terrain using the ROAM technique

Started by
0 comments, last by Bob Jelly 24 years, 1 month ago
Hello there! We are gathering information about terrain rendering and we are interested in using this algorithm into our engine. We looked at the paper that describes it and we are wondering about one point. How do we remove uneeded polygons for the rendering of each frame? The polys that are out of the line of site or the ones that are hidden by other polys. For example: ************MountainB **MountainA**/-----\*******<----Point of View **/----\____/*******\--- -/ I guess that the polygons of mountainA certainly not need to be sent to the rendering api. But how do we manage those polys in conjonction with ROAM? Is it possible to use an Octree? Are there any better algorithm than Roam? any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Bob Jelly Edited by - Bob Jelly on 3/4/00 2:12:49 PM Edited by - Bob Jelly on 3/4/00 2:15:59 PM Edited by - Bob Jelly on 3/4/00 2:16:53 PM
Advertisement
As I understand it ROAM only addresses the Level-Of-Detail aspect of terrain rendering and doesn''t do any actual occlusion culling.

It might be possible to do this with OctTrees, although I believe it would be more suitable with an QuadTree.

You may want to take a look at UNC Research Group''s papers on visibility computations. I haven''t had the chance to read them yet so I don''t know if they will help you though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement