Detail Texture

Started by
2 comments, last by IDispatch 22 years ago
Guys, what''s the best way to come up with a detail texture to be used in texturing a landscape. I mean is there any good samples out there I can test...Can I use a paint program to do the trick? Thanks in advance, IDispatch
Advertisement
It depends on what you call a detail texture. Be a bit more precise, just tell us exactly what you need, or what effect you want to achieve.

If you mean a highly tiled texture gradually blended on the terrain, depending on camera distance, then there are several ways.

You can simply compute the radial distance between the camera position and each vertex of your mesh. Then derive a blend factor from this value and blend a second (highly tiled) texture on the terrain using this factors. You can do it single or dual pass. You can cut the detail maps after a certain threshold distance, if the factor gets zero.

Then there is the mipmap trick. You always need two passes (or two units), on your whole terrain for that. The trick is to use a special mipmap in the alpha channel of your detail texture, that gradually fades out with higher mipmap levels. The you blend your detail texture based on this alpha. It''s rather easy to implement, but looks not very good IMO. And you _need_ trilinear filtering, or it will really be ugly.

And finally you have some more complicated methods using VPs and regcoms.

/ Yann
I generally use a noisy looking greyscale image that has
had an emboss filter run over it. Try it and see how you like
it.
thx alot guys... is there any place i can download some sample detail textures from?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement