Games for coders.

Started by
6 comments, last by Diodor 22 years ago
Games you''d like to play they say... Well, how about it?
  • RTS with 100% console interface. Moving troops like moving files. Storing the map like a directory structure*. Creating and deleting custom named rally points on map just like mkdir rmdir. Writing group AI scripts or using from a multitude of predefined AI scripts (search and destroy, discover area, mass-attack etc.). Massing complicate attacks in scripts and executing all the scripts at once, resulting in weird attacks from lots of places at once. Describing with ease all the commands from the "attach resources to units" thread and more. And the best part: playing against former RTS champions (the mouse people - the game would of course support a regular interface too) and burying them into the ground. *g*
  • Persistent MMO simulation. Populations of robots/creatures/RPG NPCs/whatever else evolving according to scripts written by players. Actually, any game with a competition between AI agents.
  • Hacking game, having a simulated internet on server.
(*) Break the maps in 3x3 squares and name those directories \1, \2, .. \9, just like the num-pad positions. \5 is the central square of the map. Then break each of these smaller squares in 3x3 squares. \5\7 is the upper left sub-square of the central square. Then mv \5\*gnd \2\5 to move all ground units from the middle of the map down.
Advertisement
Ganryu does not like the concept of having to TYPE commands on the keyboard. He prefers using the mouse :D
If you could implement the top one without writing a brand new programming language someone would have to learn, and use bash or perl or python, I''d play the top one.

I probably wouldn''t play the other two.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
There are already plenty of games like this. Why not just play Core Wars or P-Robots?
quote:Hacking game, having a simulated internet on server.

You should check out Uplink if you haven''t already. I''ve played the demo and it''s quite addictive. =)

Mike
i always thought it would be interesting to play half life (tfc specifically) by pulling down the console and typing various commands directly:

+forward
+jump
-jump
primeone
+attack
wait
-attack
throwgren
-forward
+reload
-reload
or check Mindrover. Programming robots using a grafical event driven laguage is fun (but frustrating

quote:Original post by Alamo
i always thought it would be interesting to play half life (tfc specifically) by pulling down the console and typing various commands directly:

That would be fun! At a LAN party or something... I''ve also thought about this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement