Child Windows

Started by
3 comments, last by Erik Rufelt 22 years ago
Hi, Is it possible to create a child window inside another window, and give it a title bar? When I add WS_CAPTION to the window style the window doesn''t get the focus when clicked if it also has the WS_CHILD style. There are lots of applications that has child windows that are focusable and get a hilited title bar.. how do i create windows like this? I read at the MSDN Library about MDI applications.. but I''d rather not use that, I just want my application to be able to have several child windows inside a large window. I want text edit controls in my window, but they don''t work if it''s a child window and has a title bar at the same time. I managed to make the text edits focus when clicked by using my own WndProc function for them, but popup menus and copy/paste still doesn''t work. Normally I can''t even select the text edits since the window isn''t in front.. Any help is much appreciated! /Erik
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Erik Rufelt
Lots of applications that has child windows that are focusable and get a hilited title bar.. how do i create windows like this?
I read at the MSDN Library about MDI applications.. but I''d rather not use that, I just want my application to be able to have several child windows inside a large window.

You answered your own question.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Sorry, what you want is MDI.

It''s actually not all that complicated, if you grasp the basic window creation and management API.

Read up on it, it''ll be good for ya
daerid@gmail.com
go to winprog.org and read the faq
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Ok I''ll guess I''ll have to learn MDI then.. =)
Is that really the only way?
Everything works as long as the child windows don''t have a title bar.. I don''t see why it should make a difference..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement