• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zaphos

Is NeXe dead?

This topic is 5541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Propeller boy: You posted at the same time as I did, heh. I'm certainly up for spearheading this, but I want to design the project to end up with very flexible leadership. So that it can't fall apart because one or two people stop updating, but rather is held together by those who want to do so. For now, I think I should lead, but all my ideas are open for debate. I want this to be the best that it can be, and it's not something I'll be even close to capable of pulling off alone. It will be a while before DX9 gets out the doors, so I just want to have everything ready for opening day -- site design, forums, submissions setup, code and tutorial templates, etc.

Myopic: Do you think that we could get a forum to design this? Or would you prefer we discuss via existing boards and/or another method (mailing list?) until the site is ready for business?

And no, I don't have a name yet; it didn't strike me as being too important. Actually, it didn't strike me at all. Suggestions are welcome, as I don't have many good ideas, but I'd prefer we stick to worrying about the more substantial features of this project for now.

[edited by - Zaphos on April 20, 2002 2:49:56 PM]

Advertisement
Whow, can I afford not to be part of this?

hehe, but sure, count me in, I may not be a big tutorial writer, but I can help test code, get oppinions on design on the site, and souch.
My skills:
Learning php.
General Webdesign.
c++ and visual basic (I learnt that before I jumped to c++)
DirectX
Problem solving

--If you look to the clouds you cant see traps--

I wish I could help, but I really have to get up to speed in DirectX. I only know pretty much how to setup a basic app, and use a vb, and I''m learning lights and texturing (which shouldn''t be too hard, I know how to do it in OpenGL, and I read about lighting in Advanced DirectX 8.0). I know how to design websites, especially ones with flash and nice graphics . I''m not extremely good, but I''m ok. I know just about all HTML, but I want to get Dreamweaver to automate website building (I almost have it). As for names, NeTi? NeBo? NeBr? NeUn? Just kidding, hehe. I bet you are not going to have Ne in your name. It''s getting a little old. NeHe,NeXe... How about AV Jack? Just kidding, another horribly stupid name of the day. pakX? no, stupid. DXTAA (pronounced dexta, sorta like dexters lab)(DXTAA = DirectX Tutorials And Articles)? No, again stupid. How about Dexta? no. Hmm, naming is harder than it looks

quote:
Original post by PropellerBoy
"Houston, we have liftoff..."

Don''t get complacent - there''s still a lot of work that will need to be done before you can start saying things like this. But I do think it''s a great idea - it could definately work and be the best DX resource there is - if it''s done right.

Anyway, a question about it:
Will it wait for DX9, and start there - or will it start before then, and use DX8??
From the way people are talking, it sounds like it will wait for DX9, but I just want to know if there''s a unanimous agreement on this or not.

John B

quote:

Don''t get complacent - there''s still a lot of work that will need to be done before you can start saying things like this.

Liftoff of the effort... NOT the final product!

I won''t speak for Zaphos, but with the timeline required to make a launch, it might be in our best interest to use DX9. It would be new/fresh/cutting edge/avant-garde/etc...

I think that we''re probably too late for the DX8 train, but we could have a huge impact around DX9. Ideally this system would be capable of producing quality tutorials and support far faster than the old one to two man shows, but creating a good tutoral/web design, a good amount of support, and solid website code will take some effort and coordination. DX9 is already taking Beta applicants, so this should be a not-overly-long period of time when we can set up the whole deal so that it runs strong as soon as it''s out the door. Does anyone have an estimate of when DX9 will be released? A date like that would give a good estimate of how much we need to rush this.

My vote is to definitely wait for DX9. A weak start could break a site so dependant on community support, and we are going to need some substantial time and effort setting up the background stuff, anyway.

Right now we should be looking to choose/generate:

1) Site layout
2) Site name
3) Tutorial layout
4) Tutorial format
5) Site webcode (php, perl, whatever, should support dynamic content, log-ins, tutorial submission and review functions, etc)
6) Code format (naming system, tab usage, classes or no classes, etc)
7) Basecode format
8) Tutorial plans (ie, what tutorials should be created, what order should they be presented in, what details should be given, etc).
9) Anything else you think might help

If you have or have ideas for any of these, please post them or e-mail me at z_zaphos@hotmail.com
I will create a temporary webpage to organize whatever I receive, and to allow people to discuss, etc.

The only timeline that I have heard is sometime this Summer ~ which means 6/2002 to 6/2003.

quote:

Zaphos wrote...
8) Standard coding methods. IE, if one person establishes a Vertex class, the tutorials that follow should build upon and use that same Vertex class.
And...
- Example code should always be extremely consise, with code not pertinent to the tutorial hidden in the base code or, when possible, not there at all.

What if we take these ideas as the basis for the creation of a DX9 open source game engine? So, each tutorial would be extending said game engine? It would definately hide much of the supporting code. The biggest issue with this would be the definition of the API. I''ve been involved in several projects such as this with different underlying graphics technologies.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!