• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unreal Tournament 2003 Terrain

This topic is 5845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, anyone know how i can create terrain like in Unreal Tournament 2003? for those who have not yet seen screenshots: the terrain consists of very smooth curved mountains/hills. which method can i use to do that? a high resolution mesh would kill framerate, i think. is it a better approach to use curved surfaces, nurbs or something like that? thanks!

Advertisement
Myopic Rhino is right. They are using hi-res meshes for terrain. Search for interview with Tim Sweedy (or whats his name) as he talks about unreal engine....

There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...

wow, that´s cool! i want to be able to make such wonderful terrains too! anyone has an idea which algorithms are used for such terrains? all terrain algos i used yet produce ugly pyramid-like mountains, even if my mesh is much subdivided...

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Around half a year ago, a preview of Unreal2, meant for E3, was leaked out. Legend doesn''t want anyone to know, but if you can get your hands on it, you can take a look at it yourself a bit already. Engine was by far not finished at that stage, although the landscapes are already beautiful, and a new version of UnrealEd comes with it. One thing to know is that you''ll need a geforce class card to view it...

PS : I''ve never posted this message, ok?

quote:
Original post by TerranFury
STFW! (j/k)

I hope you aren''t kidding when you say that are just kidding. I actually did search the web for a few minutes and didn''t find anything. And frankly, that was a few minutes longer than necessary, considering the links could have been posted here all along.

Are you stating you had troubles finding UT 2003 screenshots? heh

Try searching on any of the main gaming sites (bluesnews, voodooextreme, shugashack, planettunreal, etc..) and then all of the preview / review sites (gamespot, gamecenter, pc.ign.com, etc..) and you should be able to find information, interviews, previews, movies on this fine game, as well as many others.

Just a few weeks ago giga.de released some great footage of it in action. Search people!

Cray

quote:
Original post by craymail
Are you stating you had troubles finding UT 2003 screenshots? heh

Yeah. Is that funny or something?
quote:
Try searching on any of the main gaming sites (bluesnews, voodooextreme, shugashack, planettunreal, etc..) and then all of the preview / review sites (gamespot, gamecenter, pc.ign.com, etc..) and you should be able to find information, interviews, previews, movies on this fine game, as well as many others.

That's great, assuming I would even know about those sites. The world is a little bit bigger than your circle of friends. People visit this site who don't necessarily frequent your bookmarks.
quote:
Just a few weeks ago giga.de released some great footage of it in action.

How fantastic! But I've never heard of giga.de. So what of it?
quote:
Search people!

Yes, search your asses off people.

How about this instead? Post links and save us the damn hassle. If I want to show you something, I'll post links.

[edited by - bishop_pass on April 17, 2002 6:26:07 PM]

• Advertisement