• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unreal Tournament 2003 Terrain

This topic is 5756 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, anyone know how i can create terrain like in Unreal Tournament 2003? for those who have not yet seen screenshots: the terrain consists of very smooth curved mountains/hills. which method can i use to do that? a high resolution mesh would kill framerate, i think. is it a better approach to use curved surfaces, nurbs or something like that? thanks!

Advertisement
Myopic Rhino is right. They are using hi-res meshes for terrain. Search for interview with Tim Sweedy (or whats his name) as he talks about unreal engine....

There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...

wow, that´s cool! i want to be able to make such wonderful terrains too! anyone has an idea which algorithms are used for such terrains? all terrain algos i used yet produce ugly pyramid-like mountains, even if my mesh is much subdivided...

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Around half a year ago, a preview of Unreal2, meant for E3, was leaked out. Legend doesn''t want anyone to know, but if you can get your hands on it, you can take a look at it yourself a bit already. Engine was by far not finished at that stage, although the landscapes are already beautiful, and a new version of UnrealEd comes with it. One thing to know is that you''ll need a geforce class card to view it...

PS : I''ve never posted this message, ok?

quote:
Original post by TerranFury
STFW! (j/k)

I hope you aren''t kidding when you say that are just kidding. I actually did search the web for a few minutes and didn''t find anything. And frankly, that was a few minutes longer than necessary, considering the links could have been posted here all along.

Are you stating you had troubles finding UT 2003 screenshots? heh

Try searching on any of the main gaming sites (bluesnews, voodooextreme, shugashack, planettunreal, etc..) and then all of the preview / review sites (gamespot, gamecenter, pc.ign.com, etc..) and you should be able to find information, interviews, previews, movies on this fine game, as well as many others.

Just a few weeks ago giga.de released some great footage of it in action. Search people!

Cray

quote:
Original post by craymail
Are you stating you had troubles finding UT 2003 screenshots? heh

Yeah. Is that funny or something?
quote:
Try searching on any of the main gaming sites (bluesnews, voodooextreme, shugashack, planettunreal, etc..) and then all of the preview / review sites (gamespot, gamecenter, pc.ign.com, etc..) and you should be able to find information, interviews, previews, movies on this fine game, as well as many others.

That's great, assuming I would even know about those sites. The world is a little bit bigger than your circle of friends. People visit this site who don't necessarily frequent your bookmarks.
quote:
Just a few weeks ago giga.de released some great footage of it in action.

How fantastic! But I've never heard of giga.de. So what of it?
quote:
Search people!

Yes, search your asses off people.

How about this instead? Post links and save us the damn hassle. If I want to show you something, I'll post links.

[edited by - bishop_pass on April 17, 2002 6:26:07 PM]

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
I hope you aren''t kidding when you say that are just kidding. I actually did search the web for a few minutes and didn''t find anything. And frankly, that was a few minutes longer than necessary, considering the links could have been posted here all along.

Of course I was kidding! Oh, and, right now, I''m not kidding that I wasn''t kidding when I said I was kidding.

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
How about this instead? Post links and save us the damn hassle. If I want to show you something, I''ll post links.

Agreed.

No need to start an argument!

Anyway, back on topic. By ''hi-res mesh,'' do you mean a static TIM or dynamic ROAM/geomipmap?

Gammastrahler : try bFm or multiperlin noise then add some (gaussian) blur and/or erosion filters

There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...

quote:
That''s great, assuming I would even know about those sites. The world is a little bit bigger than your circle of friends. People visit this site who don''t necessarily frequent your bookmarks

Haha, my circle of friends. Since these sites combined probably get hundreds of thousands of hits everyday, I don''t think I can make friends with every single person that goes there.

These sites have been around for many MANY years, are known by almost everyone (except you obviously), and are the main game news source for the entire world.

If you honestly put in an effort to search for these games, you would have ran across at least one of these sites. So, instead of hitting back at me, why don''t you try going to some of these sites and actually searching through them to find old news, and the rest of the crap, on this fine looking game.

Argument ended.

Cray

quote:

These sites have been around for many MANY years, are known by almost everyone (except you obviously), and are the main game news source for the entire world.

And me. Don''t presume that everyone knows the sites that you do. Unlike yourself, I don''t spend hours "surfing" the net for sites, I have better things to do. Posting links is the best way.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, I don''t really know those sites either.. i''ve seen them pop up in some searches before, but I don''t visit them or remember their names. Just because you know them, doesn''t mean everyone else does. If you ask a question about getting something to look like something else.. it helps if you give a link to what you want it to look like. If we''re trying to help you, the least you can do is supply us with a link of what you''re trying to do, instead of making us go searching for something just to give us an idea of what you are looking for. We can''t do everything for you.

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com

Let me get this straight.. you guys are interested in game development but have never heard of voodooextreme? This boggles the mind.

If you are unwilling to search for information yourself, you shouldn''t ask anyone else to do it for you. 3 seconds on google -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Unreal+Tournament+2003%22 and http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Unreal+Tournament+2%22 (sites that still use the old Unreal Tournament 2 name)

Are you sure you searched for it?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m 100% positive I did not search for it. My point was that if you brought it up, you should post a link to it, and not just assume that everyone knows of, or has seen the pictures.

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com

To get back on the subject at hand, anyone have any idea how they are rendering the grass in their screenshots? That''s got to be some of the best looking grass I''ve ever seen... I''ve been trying to find some good papers on the techniques that you can use, but so far, I haven''t found much..

quote:
Original post by BenHanson
Let me get this straight.. you guys are interested in game development but have never heard of voodooextreme? This boggles the mind.

I''ve heard of Voodoo, but no, I haven''t heard of voodooextreme. Should I have? Even if I had heard of it, should it be at the forefront of my mind with regard to this topic?

Ben, I''m interested in a lot of things. Maybe I''m here because I''m interested in developing realtime military simulations using dynamic discontinuity meshing algorithms for dynamic shadow computations in a radiosity renderer with culling via a portal alogotithm. That isn''t entirely true, but it could be. Maybe I''m here because I stumbled across this site yesterday and am not familiar with the gaming industry, but I''d like to offer some input and ask questions, but instead I meet people like you here. Maybe I''m into photography (I really am) and I''m here in the graphics forum seeking help on image processing algorithms, and I popped into this thread out of curiosity.

The simple truth is, I am very much into computer graphics and I have been since 1987. But despite that, don''t assume that everyone follows the same links you do, frequents the same sites you do, or is here based on exactly the same interests as you.
quote:
Original post by BenHanson
If you are unwilling to search for information yourself, you shouldn''t ask anyone else to do it for you.

That is a really sour attitude, and in this context if you were in my physical presence, I would verbally rip you apart. As it happens, I am very willing to search the web when it is necessary and I am motivated to do so. This wasn''t one of those cases. It shouldn''t have been necessary, and I wasn''t terribly motivated to do so. Despite that, I dragged my ass over to Google and entered the key phrase: +"unreal tournament 2003" +screenshots and came up with a lot of links. I clicked on a few, and got sites with more mumbo jumbo, but no clear indication where I would find the screenshots.

But what amuses me most of all is the attitude of a few in this thread who think it is not proper to ask for a link instead of expending the effort to go search for it. And equally amusing is the attitude that assumes that we all frequent the same sites. Such an attitude, as I pointed out, stems from a narrow minded view of the other members in this forum.

quote:
Haha, my circle of friends. Since these sites combined probably get hundreds of thousands of hits everyday, I don''t think I can make friends with every single person that goes there.

I think you missed the point there, fellow. Do you know anyone who does not know of those sites? If you do, it would be reasonable to assume that there could be people on this site who are not familiar with those sites as well. On the other hand, if you don''t know anyone who is not familiar with those sites, than you''re equally at fault for not being more aware of the possible web browsing habits of others outside your circle of friends.

Ah... The wise words of bishop_pass... Basically what he said. I can''t think of anything more to be added on that subject, so lets leave it at that shall we?

I haven''t seen many papers on rendering grass either, I''ve seen fur rendering techniques, and I''m thinking that it''s a similar proceedure, would I be correct in thinking so?

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

You can use shells and fins (which is what fur techniques most often use) to do some amazing grass, but I don''t think that''s what they''re using in UT. It''d be too expensive for a large terrain.

I''m not really sure what they are using... it could just be a couple of tris per blade of grass with some physics attached. I don''t know.

the only thing that is disappointing is that the grass is static, (no physics, no animation). but by considering the amount of detail of the game and that a multiplayer game is more time-critical than single player, it´s not that important.

unreal 2, which will probably (hopefully) ship at the end of 2002, comes along with even more detail and features, as mark reign said on Giga.de

Seems they're using Hieght Maps for Terrain Generation, just take a look at this tutorial I found at Unreal Developers Network:

http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/TerrainTutorial/

[edited by - Darchon on April 18, 2002 4:22:10 PM]

I honestly have no idea how this technique was done, but I have also seen a similar technique by Code Cult called Code Creatures (http://www.codecreatures.com/). It is a tech demo /engine they created for one of the nVidia GeForce cards, and I assume for more. There is a video and some pictures of the grass, and it blows my mind.

Sorry that this does not really help you finding an answer, but it shows you one hell of a good grass example

Cray

• Advertisement