• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solstice

XML in games

This topic is 6005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently working on my own game engine and have reached somewhat of a design impass. I would like the engine to be as completely file-bound as possible and use XML as the file format. The last week, my ideas for how to continue work on the engine blew up in my face, and so I troll for ideas. The engine is to be used for RPGs using SDL and OpenGL. I''m currenly considering using XGL for the model format, but I would like something a little more high level. Some of my ideas include a NPC tag which contains an XGL tag and several Question/Answer tag blacks for interaction. What might be some other XML tags for an engine of this type? (2D/3D, sound, bgm...etc) -Solstice deninet.com aeris.deninet.com "...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."

Advertisement
xml is good.

my game engine uses xml for its loading. The variables of the game are stored in xml for before reading into the virtual machine.

the maps also are in xml.

downside is that the xml files are kinda big.......

And there is no scripting component, so i had to improvise with embedding another scripting language within the xml.

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }

Do you make a one player game or a multiplayer (netgame)?

If you do it single player, let them change it. Who cares? They are cheating themself.

If it is network, have a server containing the data, or have all clients compare their copies of XML, if someone has modified it, the others will know. (If they all changed it the same way, your game will not yell "CHEATER". Maybe their version is even better

Actually it''s a one player RPG. I''m also altering the behavior of the language somewhat to create a scripting element, although I think this part will not be used as much as the formatting tags.

About the file size and loading -- really that''s all in how you structure the documents. If you have a clunky grammar then sure it will take forever. If also helps to NOT use XML for everything. Many common file formats do their job better than XML for their specific goals. That is why I think referencing several files to create one scene is important.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!