Reviving an old design idea.

Started by
12 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 21 years, 12 months ago
quote:Original post by Dwarf with Axe
Wouldn''t this be interesting:

If you die defending your country, you go to the plane of the good.

If you die by someone murdering you (i.e., monsters, etc) you go to the plane of neutrality.

If you die by suicide or foolishly (i.e., trying to steal something and you get a knife in the heart) you go to the plane of corruption.

At the plane of good you are greeted by angels and have the option of choosing the new reality that you will be reborn into.

At the plane of neutrality you are greeted by a few angels and are told that you are to be reborn into a new reality. You might get choices or not, I''m not sure.

At the plane of corruption you are greeted by a fallen angel who ressurects you into a reality of his choice, and everytime you are resurrected by a fallen angel you lose some abilities. I.E., you could have minuses to strength, charisma, attack, etc.

Just a thought; And I like this idea.

This almost reminds me of that one Water/Fire plot-cycle of Lexx. I actually really enjoyed it, but it was limited to some degree, in that your fate was decided the first time you died, not every time.

And noble idea DarkIce, but the point being is that I don''t want a game where you die and "Game Over: Would You Like To Make A New Character?" The idea of switching between realities at death is to keep your character''s entire ''life'' in a cycle with no sudden stop at any time. But it''s not free, and that''s where switching realities comes into play.

It''s a nice idea, but I also don''t like the polar-opposites idea for the realities. Having one reality being of utter ''good'' and one of horrid ''evil'' would make things just too hard on some players. I want the realities to be totally seperate in history, for instance, and still have that mixed-gray area of social-alignment. They have their good(NPC''s?) they have their bad(Monsters?), but they also bear a strong dissimilarity to each other. Though I almost like the idea of one being a strongly-technological world and the other being magically-inclined, it would be too harsh for someone to become a powerful mage, and then suddenly die from a burst of dragonbreath and wake up in the middle of neon-lights and high-tech.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-"The best way to make someone feel pain at your words is to either tell the truth, and make it sound horrid; or to tell a lie that reflects their own personal fears and resentments of themselves."
Advertisement
OK, I think that to be successful with this project, you'll have to do a few things:

1) make it where the players basically switch back and forth between worlds with deaths, with a slight penalty (maybe 10% of levels)

2) allow for fast advancement in skill/level so that if they are higher level they won't feel that there is too much that they're missing out on if they die and have to restart in the other world.

3) create a way to pass from one world to the other (but keep the character in it's current incarnation), so that you could 'escape' from the underworld to the above world (with weaknesses) or venture into the underworld to slay the baddies there.

You can also create different classes that are exclusive to each 'world' to give excuses for people to 'die'. It might also be a good idea to instead of allowing someone to get their old gear (just leave it up there or down there for when they die again) after they die, simply allow some level of bonus for lasting longer in any particular world. Example: I'm 30th level up top (normal world) and die. If I decide that I want to play that character more and die quickly just to get back there, give them an additional penalty of 10 or 20% level, dropping them down instead of to 27th level, down to 24th or 21st level. Live longer and you get no penalty, or get a bonus to their level (call it residual knowledge transferring over or something like that).

Just some thoughts.

[edited by - solinear on April 19, 2002 5:06:01 PM]
I had a simalar idea to this for a mmorpg if you check on the writin board I was goin to have a 2 layer world one is earth the other is hell if you die (altho i forgot to mention this) you''d be in hell, since this place is menat to be a hell ruled world.

Cool idea

What we percieve to be Free Will may only be our Fate...Planet Earth is Blue and there''s nothing we can do...

I had a simalar idea to this for a mmorpg if you check on the writin board I was goin to have a 2 layer world one is earth the other is hell if you die (altho i forgot to mention this) you''d be in hell, since this place is menat to be a hell ruled world.

Cool idea

What we percieve to be Free Will may only be our Fate...Planet Earth is Blue and there''s nothing we can do...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement