• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exellon

What the Hell is UML?

This topic is 6059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Unified Modeling Language. It''s a set of conventions for graphically representing an application design.

it is NOT a computer syntax or a programming language.

Look on Amazon... you''ll find bunches of useful books.

A quote from Applying UML and Patterns by Craig Larman:

"UML stands for Unified Modeling Language, a notation (mainly diagramatic) for modeling systems using opbject oriented concepts."

Any spelling mistakes are entirely of my own creation. =)

Mike

tehre''s this really really cool new advanced high-tech thing called a search engine. learn to use one.

you might try:

www.google.com

-me

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Unified Modeling Language. It''s a set of conventions for graphically representing an application design.

it is NOT a computer syntax or a programming language.

Look on Amazon... you''ll find bunches of useful books.

Sorry dude. I''m a 13 year old underpayed paper boy. Don''t got money to buy books. Only cases of Coke to keep me alive on the weekends. Any good articles anywhere might be help.

b/c i''m feeling nicer now than 10seconds ago:

www.google.com

search for "UML tutorial"

searching hints:

if you want to know WHAT something is, the phrase "what is" + works wonders (i.e. "what is UML")

if you want to know HOW something works, the phrase + turorial" works wonders. (i.e. "UML tutorial")

seriously, yo. posting a question like "what is fruitcake" implies you spent zero time trying to figure it out yourself.

-me

putting the above posts together you might try

go to google

search for

"Unified Modeling Language Tutorial"

or

"Unified Modeling Language Reference"

And my advice to you, is to ignore 90% of the text you see ... you probably are just learning it, and early on it''s best to just pick 1-2 models and start using them ... try these:

1. Class Diagrams - simple drawings which show the relationships between some of your classes.

2. Object Diagrams - simple drawings which show the relationships between some of your objects.

3. Sequence Diagram - diagram which shows the how program''s flow of control changes over time (for 1 case) ... each sequence diagram is basically a diagram showing one possible run of a function, (or any part of your program).

The difference between 1 and 2 is this ... 1 shows the DESIGN TIME relationship ... like which classes inheirit from which, and what the classes functions and data members are ... 2 shows the RUN TIME relationships ... like perhaps there is 1 screen manager object with a list of pointers to the 25 sprite objects which are visible on the screen ... even though these are 2 classes in diagram 1, they would be 26 objects in diagram 2.

Hope that helps as a start ...

Posting a question like what is LSP does NOT suggest he spent zero time ... because it''s an ACRONYM ... and there is NO way to be sure which of 60 possible versions are meant by an acronym you know nothing about ...

but I will say this ... in the future if people like this would ask:

"what does UML stand for" ... and THEN they can go to google and look up the answer ... THEN come back and ask more ... THAT would be ideal for everyone.

cept of course for the fact that a google search for:

"what is UML"

or

"UML tutorial"

produce copious numbers of pages describing and teaching about UML...

i don''t flame without checking the validity of my flame....but then again perhaps i should be nicer. i had a bad day...

-me

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!