LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found

Started by
6 comments, last by tuxx 21 years, 12 months ago
Hi, I''m programming a simple DirectDraw game, and the compiler says:

Main.obj : error LNK2005: _IID_IDirectDrawSurface already defined in Graphics.obj 
Note that it says that for a lot of stuff (all DirectDraw interfaces), 16 to be exact! Followed by the error (the thread title). I have absolutely no idea what might be causing this, but if it said ''multiple defined symbols found'', that might have something to do with my extern stuff. I''ll show you:

// Graphics.h

extern LPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd;    // Pointer to the DirectDraw interface

extern LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7;   // Pointer to the DirectDraw 7 interface

// Main.h

extern LPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd;    // Pointer to the DirectDraw interface

extern LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7;   // Pointer to the DirectDraw 7 interface

// Graphics.cpp

LPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd = NULL;	// Pointer to the DirectDraw interface

LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7 = NULL;     // Pointer to the DirectDraw 7 interface

You''ll notice that I just called extern on all of them except the C++ file. I''m doing what that new tutorial on including files or something said, defining extern variables elsewhere, and initializing the real variables in a C++ file (that''s not being included by anything). if (input) { tuxx->Appreciate(&you->input); }
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
Advertisement
are you using inclusion guards? if not, try putting:

#ifndef _THIS_FILE_H_
#define _THIS_FILE_H_
// code here
#endif

you would replace THIS_FILE with the name of the file, and H with the type of file(e.g. HPP, H, C, CPP)
Hmm, thanks for the reply, but it still doesn''t work . I''ve added the #ifndef stuff to all of my files, including CPPs. But it still didn''t work! I took the #ifndefs out of the CPPs, but I''ll just give you a little code dump in case I''m missing some really easy-to-solve problem.

// Main.h#ifndef _MAIN_H_#define _MAIN_H_// Optimize Windows#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN#define INITGUID// #includes#include <windows.h>							// Windows header file#include <ddraw.h>								// DirectDraw header file// libs#pragma comment (lib,"DDRAW.LIB")				// Link the DirectDraw library#pragma comment (lib,"DXGUID.LIB")				// Link the DirectX GUID library#pragma comment (lib,"WINMM.LIB")				// Link the Windows Media library// #defines// Basic key input#define KEYDOWN(vk_code) ((GetAsyncKeyState(vk_code) & 0x8000) ? 1 : 0)#define KEYUP(vk_code)   ((GetAsyncKeyState(vk_code) & 0x8000) ? 0 : 1)// MessageBox()#define MSGBox(text,cap) (MessageBox(NULL,text,cap,MB_OK))#define ErrorMSG(text)   (MessageBox(NULL,text,"Error"MB_OK | MB_ICONEXCLAMATION ))// Globalsextern HWND hwnd;								// Handle to window	extern HDC hdc;									// Handle to device contextextern WNDCLASSEX wc;							// Window classextern PAINTSTRUCT ps;							// Handle to painting structureextern MSG msg;									// Handle messages// DirectDraw globalsextern LPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd;						// Pointer to the DirectDraw interfaceextern LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7;						// Pointer to the DirectDraw 7 interface// Function declarationsint WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,			// main()				   HINSTANCE hPrecInstance,				   LPSTR lpCmdLine,				   int nShowCmd);LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hwnd,			// Window procedure							UINT msg,							WPARAM wparam,							LPARAM lparam);int Init();										// Initializer functionint Main();										// Main functionint Shutdown();									// Shutdown function#endif// Graphics.h#ifndef _GRAPHICS_H_#define _GRAPHICS_H_// Includes#include "Main.h"// Globals// DirectDraw globalsextern LPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd;						// Pointer to the DirectDraw interfaceextern LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7;						// Pointer to the DirectDraw 7 interface// Function definitionsextern int GInit();								// Graphics initializationextern int GMain();								// Graphics main loopextern int GShutdown();							// Graphics shutdown#endif  

// And now for Main.cpp and Graphics.cpp// Main.cpp// Includes#include "Main.h"// GlobalsHWND hwnd;										// Handle to window	HDC hdc;										// Handle to device contextWNDCLASSEX wc;									// Window classPAINTSTRUCT ps;									// Handle to painting structureMSG msg;										// Handle messagesint Init();										// Initializationint Main();										// Main loopint Shutdown();									// Program shutdown// Function definitions//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////int Init(){	return 0;}//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////int Main(){	if(KEYDOWN(VK_ESCAPE))    { Shutdown(); PostQuitMessage(0); }	return 0;}//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////int Shutdown(){	return 0;}//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hwnd,			// Window Procedure function							UINT msg,							WPARAM wparam,							LPARAM lparam){		// handle messages	switch(msg)	{	case WM_CREATE:								// initialization		{			return (0);		} break;			case WM_PAINT:								// painting		{			// validate window			hdc = BeginPaint(hwnd,&ps);			EndPaint(hwnd,&ps);			return (0);		} break;	case WM_DESTROY:							// closing		{			// kill program			PostQuitMessage(0);			return (0);		} break;	default:break;	}	return (DefWindowProc(hwnd,msg,wparam,lparam));}//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,						// WinMain()				   HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,				   LPSTR lpCmdLine,				   int nShowCmd){		wc.cbSize		 = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);					// set the size of window class	wc.style		 = CS_VREDRAW | CS_HREDRAW 					   | CS_OWNDC | CS_DBLCLKS;				// set the window style	wc.lpfnWndProc	 = WindowProc;							// specify function	wc.cbClsExtra	 = 0;									// extra class variable	wc.cbWndExtra	 = 0;									// extra window variable	wc.hInstance     = hInstance;							// specify instance	wc.hIcon		 = LoadIcon(NULL,IDI_APPLICATION);		// specify icon	wc.hCursor		 = LoadCursor(NULL,IDC_ARROW);			// specify cursor	wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)GetStockObject(WHITE_BRUSH);	// white background	wc.lpszMenuName  = NULL;								// no menu	wc.lpszClassName = "WinClass";							// name of class	wc.hIconSm		 = LoadIcon(NULL,IDI_APPLICATION);		// small icon	RegisterClassEx(&wc);	// create window	if (!(hwnd = CreateWindowEx(NULL,						// no extended params		"WinClass",											// class name		"Framework",										// window name		WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | WS_VISIBLE,					// popup window		0,0,												// start window at top left		640,480,											// specify window''s resolution		NULL,												// handle to parent			NULL,												// handle to menu		hInstance,											// handle to instance		NULL)))												// advanced window creation data	{ return 0; }	UpdateWindow(hwnd);										// force Windows to create WM_PAINT message	Init();													// initialize program	while(GetMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0))						// catch messages	{		// translate accelerator keys		TranslateMessage(&msg);		Main();												// main loop		// send message to WindowProc()		DispatchMessage(&msg);	}	Shutdown();												// shutdown program	return (msg.wParam);}// Now for Graphics.cpp (don''t worry, this is shorter)// Includes#include "Graphics.h"// Globals// DirectDraw globalsLPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd = NULL;				// Pointer to the DirectDraw interfaceLPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7 = NULL;				// Pointer to the DirectDraw 7 interface// Function definitionsint GInit();									// Graphics initializationint GMain();									// Graphics main loopint GShutdown();								// Graphics shutdown// Function declarations////////////////////////////////////////////////int GInit(){		// Create the DirectDraw interface	DirectDrawCreate( NULL, &lpdd, NULL );	// Upgrade to DirectDraw 7	lpdd->QueryInterface( IID_IDirectDraw7, (LPVOID*)lpdd7 );	return 0;}////////////////////////////////////////////////int GMain(){	return 0;}////////////////////////////////////////////////int GShutdown(){	return 0;}  

Whew. If any of you could see what I''m doing wrong, please reply .
Anyone? Thanks.
Since you have
extern LPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd; // Pointer to the DirectDraw interfaceextern LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7; // Pointer to the DirectDraw 7 interface  

in Graphics.h, you don't need (and shouldn't have) them in Main.h. Try removing them from Main.h and see if that works.

Mike

EDIT: I'm new with the board, so I had to play with the formatting. =)

[edited by - mmelson on April 19, 2002 6:51:07 PM]
I'm guessing you've defined INITGUID somewhere, right? Remove all those and include dxguid.lib in your project instead. It's easier and less error-prone.

Edit: I just had a look at your last post, where do you include the directx headers? Let's have a look at that.

PS, you can declare things extern as many times as you like and it makes no difference (unless you change the calling convention or return code or something like that).

codeka.com - Just click it.

[edited by - Dean Harding on April 19, 2002 10:25:56 PM]
shit, thanks Dean! It works! Thanks everyone else too. All I had to do is remove INITGUID! Thanks!
Jon starts working in a lumber camp. The boss says, "We work twelve hours a day, we eat two meals a day, lights out at ten-thirty, and you can put your dick in the barrel over there for a blow job any day but Thursday." Jon says, "Why not Thursday?" The boss says, "Because Thursday is your turn in the barrel."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement