• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yzzid

Quake 2 BSP Visibility

This topic is 5874 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have sucessfully loaded most of the Quake 2 BSP file info in but am having trouble with the visibility info (PVS). The two references to the Quake 2 BSP file format I found on the net differ in their description of this part of the file. If anyone can shed some light on what the EXACE format of this section is and how to use it it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Dizzy

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you haven''t already, you could do a lot worse than looking at the Quake 2 source code. That''ll give you the exact format right away at least, even if it takes a while longer to work out how the PVS data is used.

From what I''ve read, Q2 uses cluster-to-cluster visibility like Q3, so you may find this Q3 BSP documentation useful as well (I recommend that you invert the relationship though for faster lookup if it is indeed the same scheme):

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/q3/

Given that I know from experience that there are more than a few differences between the two formats elsewhere though, I''d only advise the above page as a rough guide for understanding.

I know that the visibility information for Half-Life maps (Quake 1 engine) is Run-Length Encoded for zero, so you might need to decompress it before you can use it. No reason why it would be different for Q2 and Q3, because the size of uncompressed VIS info grows like weeds the larger and more complex a map.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The Q3 vis data isn''t RLE''d, it''s just bit-packed cluster visibility. Q1 on the other hand uses finer-grain leaf visibility (groups of leaf nodes form clusters in Q2/Q3), which will obviously result in a much larger table with comparable maps. I''d have to check whether there''s any compression of vis data for Q2 - Q3 pak files are of course compressed, so that also reduces the need for RLE.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!