• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kolpo

Pingo assault : Please try it out

This topic is 6053 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://www.geocities.com/kolpo_polpo/Pingo1.0.zip I have tested it on many different systems. Please keep in mind that it is indended as freeware and have made it all myself as a hobby. Feedback about game play, maybe possible hiden bugs is welcome. Do you find it to easy or to hard? How do you find the speed difference between the levels? For those intressed in the code is it also included with the game. You may use the code to make your own version of it but must keep it open source and freeware. EDIT: changed from beta to release version. [edited by - kolpo on April 20, 2002 5:49:56 PM]

Advertisement
I just tried it, but something went wrong - I couldn''t see anything during the game! The play area was there, and the score and lives showed up, but there was nothing in the play area. The game found the BMPs in the directory (because the title screen showed up fine).

Anyway, I''m running winXP on an athlon 800 and a voodoo3 3000.

Its OK, I found the problem. It was unable to find one of the BMPs - "figuren2.bmp". The original file in the zip was called "figuren.bmp" instead. A simple rename later and it works fine.

I just had a quick play and I have one small suggestion. I would prefer it if the two guns on your ship were closer together. I don't like it when the bad guys fit in the gap between your guns too easily. In fact, I think I prefer just having one central gun to having two that are too far apart.

Oh, and I'm using DirectX 8.1.

EDIT: Another small suggestion - it might be an idea to give more points for killing the smaller targets, since they are much harder to hit. Either that or make the pingos harder to kill.

[edited by - Krunk on April 18, 2002 11:21:06 AM]

quote:
Original post by Krunk
I just tried it, but something went wrong - I couldn't see anything during the game! The play area was there, and the score and lives showed up, but there was nothing in the play area. The game found the BMPs in the directory (because the title screen showed up fine).

Pretty much the same for me, all I saw were yellow and red squares but the gameplay still seemed to be alright.

Apart from that setback the game still played well although it might be better to make it so you lose points everytime you fire (1/2 a point each time seems about right) as it's pretty easy just to hold down the fire button and move back and forth to wipe out everything that comes down.

EDIT : Just did as Krunk suggested and it works now, however I noticed one of the ship type enemies fly through one of the grey circle enemies.

My system specs
AMD Athalon 1400mhz
256mb
WinME
DirectX 8.1

- DarkIce

[edited by - DarkIce on April 18, 2002 11:16:01 AM]

quote:
Original post by DarkIce
Apart from that setback the game still played well although it might be better to make it so you lose points everytime you fire (1/2 a point each time seems about right) as it''s pretty easy just to hold down the fire button and move back and forth to wipe out everything that comes down.

That is indeed a good idea but players should only be punsihed for missiles that miss, so I have now edited teh code so that you gain -1 score(but can never be below 0) for every rocket that reached the end of the game field(thus it ahs hit nothing)and -1 for every 2(don''t have to be of same shot or at same time) plamsa missiles that reach the end. I have uploaded it with those changes in it. IS taht enough to fight the "keep the space bar pressed" exploit?

quote:
Original post by DarkIce
EDIT : Just did as Krunk suggested and it works now, however I noticed one of the ship type enemies fly through one of the grey circle enemies.

I''m me aware of teh problem but having the pingo''s block the fast yellow ships would destroy there propose(being a fast moving enemy). So like publishers love to say: It isn''t a bug it''s a feature

On Level 7 the action suddenly becomes faster. Is it possible to make the increase in speed a little more gradual?

-----------------------
- Waverider
A healthy humility and more realistic approach towards what you know comes from realizing what other people know, too.

quote:
Original post by Krunk
I just had a quick play and I have one small suggestion. I would prefer it if the two guns on your ship were closer together. I don''t like it when the bad guys fit in the gap between your guns too easily. In fact, I think I prefer just having one central gun to having two that are too far apart.

There ia already in the game a gun like that Press ''Alt Gr'' to fire a fast moving rocket from teh central gun.

quote:

EDIT: Another small suggestion - it might be an idea to give more points for killing the smaller targets, since they are much harder to hit. Either that or make the pingos harder to kill.

Yes the points for stone where to low in comaprrision with the difficulty to hit them so I ahve raised the points you get from both the small and more bigger stone by 1, that version is now uploaded.

quote:
Original post by Waverider
On Level 7 the action suddenly becomes faster. Is it possible to make the increase in speed a little more gradual?

-----------------------
- Waverider
A healthy humility and more realistic approach towards what you know comes from realizing what other people know, too.

I can maybe change that but because currently quite everything is integers would it require a lot of code editing but I think taht you are right taht it would indeed improcve gameplayso will I implement it, but will take some time.

I have learned a programming lesson: think twice before using integers for location and movement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!