Which is faster?

Started by
0 comments, last by TempusElf 22 years ago
My particle system (were all the particles basically look the same and are the same size) currently uses one vertex buffer with 4 vertices and i draw each particle one at a time... an alternative to that is to make 4 vertices in the vertex buffer for every particle and just draw them all at once... but sence they are billboards i would have to change the positions of the vertices with every frame so here is my question: is it faster to just draw the same particle over and over or is it faster to edit the vertex buffer with every frame? It just seems to me that if i have a lot of particles it may just be faster to draw them one at a time... but it also seems that more experienced programmers avoid using DrawPrimitive too much like its the worst thing you could possible do
Advertisement
I''ve come across this problem before as well. As far as I''ve read, and heard from others, making one dynamic Vertex Buffer and changing each value is the best thing to do. If you are interested in working on this problem together, you can reach me on AOL Instant Messenger. My screen name''s Immigrant Marbles. Hope to hear from ya.

--Vic--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement