• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is windows XP completely backwards compatible.

This topic is 5759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a program I wrote on my Win98 machine in VC++ and DX 8.0. I have read around and seen that WindowsXP supposedly already has DX 8.1 installed; however, when I try to run my program on my friend''s new comp with XP, I get an error message saying "d3dx8d.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." I thought that the machine, having dx8.1 installed would have all of the required dll''s. Am I incorrect? Does it matter that my program is not built in release mode, but rather, in debug? Thanks for any help. --Vic--

Advertisement
d3dx8d.dll

Thats the debug version of directx utility library... In your debug version of your linker setting, include that to the libraries, but under the release version of your linker settings, include "d3dx8.dll" (no d) to the libraries.

The debug versions are only included in the SDK to help the programmer diagnose things... In release mode (what you send to your friend), it should be using the non debug libraries.

PEBCAK - Problem exists between chair and keyboard.

[edited by - Joeyblow2 on April 18, 2002 12:56:50 PM]

[edited by - Joeyblow2 on April 18, 2002 1:01:16 PM]

LOL
It''s amazing how many of these kids have no idea what the difference is between a debug and release build—and worse—even how to switch between the two, or their purpose. The Internet''s bandwidth is drained by them sending their executables full of needless debugging information...

• Advertisement