• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Petr Stedry

[java] Applets: What do you think about them ?

This topic is 5932 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, several posts ("applet fps" thread) made me think about certain issues concerning applets. Creating applets is the fastest way to get response for the problem your trying to solve. It''s just a click away and you just need the browser. But there comes the catch .... Why the hell (sorry for letting the steam out) should I care about some guys that have archaic browsers without the any 1.2+ JRE&plugin installed? Creating anything without the collections or BufferedImage or many other things is just painfull! Takes a lot of time and in the long run leads to unmaintainable and inflexible piece of sofware (s#!t). I don''t see the wisdom in willingly using pre 1.2 libraries. So if you don''t mind telling me you opinion, well ... just do it have a nice day

Advertisement
Well, I don't know about you, but I hate being forced to upgrade. I think this sort of decision is best handled by determining the percentage using "legacy" stuff. If that percentage is below a certain, fair amount, then backwards compatibility can be considered "unnecessary." Sometimes the decision is simply whether or not you'll piss off your customer or target, and forcing them to upgrade might just do that. Don't forget that there are still plenty of Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and DOS machines out there, and they're certainly considered "legacy."

[edited by - merlin9x9 on April 18, 2002 1:29:59 PM]

Hi,

well, I know what you mean.

Personally I too hate to upgrade (the user in me is certainly as L-A-Z-Y as a stone statue), but beeing also the developer cuts my decision times in cases like this.

But IMHO this laziness can be fought with really cool screenshots and one-click upgrade downloads.

P.S.: I never noticed, that there is a windows3.1 JRE release.

have a nice day

I, personally... always try to stay away from Applets. I dont write any of my Java games for other people, but rather to expand my own knowledge. Ergo, since I'd rather type "java mygame", I might as well make an application. Not to mention the crap-ass security features in Applets... I don't think anything else pisses me off more about applets than the fact that you can't connect to other computers (way too limiting, though I understand Sun's reasoning).

I do, however, write in 1.3 / 1.3.1 rather than 1.4 whenever possible, mainly because one of the most popular OS's doesn't support it yet: Mac OS X. Even though I dont write for other people just yet, I still like to stick with the "write once, run anywhere" philosophy.

[edited by - idej-avaj on April 18, 2002 9:47:31 PM]

Hi, I don''t like applets ''cause of the security restrictions. Even saving the game is a problem. If I develope a game I always implement an application. Also the game resources like textures, images, Meshes and so on, can easily expand to some MB and downloading this via an applet is boring.

ciao knudde

quote:
Original post by Idej-Avaj
I don't think anything else pisses me off more about applets than the fact that you can't connect to other computers (way too limiting, though I understand Sun's reasoning).
[edited by - idej-avaj on April 18, 2002 9:47:31 PM]

Take a look at dragonspires. It's an online RPG implemented in a Java applet (or a standalone app). It doesn't even ask for security permissions before you can connect, so I think you must be mistaken.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on April 20, 2002 5:58:00 PM]

Applets only let you connect to the server where the applet came from without requiring special permissions.

Personally I like applets.. There aren''t many other things that can get your program viewed by as many people as QUICKLY than an applet. But that is my stupid opinion.

-Just when you think things are starting to look up, life grabs you by the jaws makes you open up wide and sh*ts down your throat.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!