• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antony52

Visual C++

This topic is 5882 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For some weeks now i am studying Visual C++ in order to use the language for the building of a 3D Engine in the future.Until know i have been reading about how to make messages appear,draw lines and make bitmaps etc,etc.... But where will all this is going to be in any use.Perhaps their is a Visual C++ book that has exactly what i need.I mean a book that shows how to built an engine with what code and with the use of certain dialog windows. Now if i have to learn all the stuff the book i am reading know says which is the "SAMS TEACH YOURSELF VISUAL C++ IN 21 DAYS" then ok i will. Also i want to ask another question:Do i need to memorize every code or method any book has or i could just copy it in future projects and maybe tweak it myself?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Dude,

I have Tricks of the windows game programming guru''s. Goes into the windows stuff that you''ll need to learn, directX and game logics n stuff. It''s a very good book and fun to read. I also have the complete c++ reference. I learned much from it.

NeoCarnage ^*^

Guest Anonymous Poster
You could memorize the code, but if you understand how to draw lines and make bitmaps, you understand the code and you don''t have to memorize it. Thats why they teach it.

NeoCarnage ^*^

"OpenGL game programming" by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle takes you through building a simple game engine step-by-step. It''s a great book. I think there is a "DirectX game programming" as well. I really hate that Sam''s book - it was the first book I tried to use to learn C++ and it managed to do my head in without actually teaching me much. You can still learn from it but it isn''t making life easy for you. The man gibbers on about "class Cat" and member function "miaow()" and similar nonsense, all bearing very little relation to actual programming situations. I would recommend the "C++ in depth" series as the best collection of C++ books I have read (by far). Start with "Essential C++" by Stanley Lippman. These books are quite short (and quite expensive for their size) but believe me that is a good thing - they tell you only what you absolutely need to know, which is the best way for a beginner.

-

Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.

I think it is kind of like learning to play the guitar. First you must learn the individual notes before getting into chords and more complex types of music.

The same goes for programming. All of the seemingly futile things that you learn in the beginning feel like they are not going to get you anywhere. The fact of the matter is that once you understand the basics of programming, you will fare better when dealing with the more complex and, frankly, more interesting code.

So my advice is to just suck it up in the beginning and you will appreciate your programming time more in the future.

--

I''m not a freak, I''m just really shiny.

[edited by - RevKilljoy on April 20, 2002 1:25:52 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!