• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maya -> directx8: anyone use this combo?

This topic is 5852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking into Maya as the main modelling tool for my game, which uses dx8 for the engine core. Has anyone got any advice, admonitions, or experience in this area? In particular, how "friendly" is the SDK, how hard is it to write plugins with it etc.? Has anyone used the .X export plugins provided by microsoft? Does it actually work (a stark contrast from 3ds Max...) with animation intact? I''m certain I have more questions, I just can''t think of them right now. TIA, kaostika

Advertisement
SDK is very friendly. I never used .X so I do not know if that exporter works. If you want to export to your own format and don't have alot of time, I recommend you just open the source for the .OBJ exporter and re-write the file output portions of it. Took me less than 30 minutes to support my object format, though animation takes a bit longer.

Anyway, yeah - Maya SDK = very friendly; here is a good place to start - http://www.oroboro.com/rafael/maya.html .

[edited by - BenHanson on April 19, 2002 10:25:52 AM]

Wow! Rafael''s example is pretty damn good. Thanks for the link BenHanson.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I''ve downloaded the Maya demo, but didn''t like the UI. I more prefer 3DSMax, and the .X Exporter has everything I needed. Except few limitaiton, otherwise it''s very friendly.

Here are some known and non-documented issues about XSkinExp plug-in:

1) Everything has to be collasped to Editable Mesh before exporting except when using Physique modifier.
2) If Texture is used, it must be applied before converting to Editable. Then, use the UVW mapping to re-map the texture. If you apply the Texture after converting to Editable, you must export and import the mesh in 3DS format before exporting in x-file.
3) Ambient, Diffuse, Specular, Opacity(Diffuse Alpha in DX), and Self-Illumiation(Emissive in DX) are exported, but if Texture is used, only Diffuse and shininess(Specular in DX) are exported. (I think)
4) When Physique is used, it only supports the Vertex. When exporting, only Mesh Editable should be under this modifier and nothing above.

5) When exported, it''s in Z-Axis mode, where Z is the height. Also (don''t remember which) X or Y is mysteriously flipped(mirrored).

Probably more, but don''t remember off hand.

-Toyemann

• Advertisement