• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complex powers using C++'s complex template

This topic is 5751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! I''m working on my complex symbolic math software and I''m confused about complex power. Actually, only about powers in this form (-a)^(c+bi), a > 0 It always returns me complex number of non defined numbers - [-1.IND, -1.IND]. Does anybody know where might be the problem? I''m using MS C++ .NET beta 2 -------- Dave

Advertisement
The usual way to take a complex exponent is to use the formula

az = elog(a^z) = e z log a

a in your case is a negative number and your compiler might be having trouble with this. After all it''s (a) Microsoft (b) beta and (c) .NET

If a is negative then log(a) = iPI + log|a|.

I'm going to follow up on this post, but I will warn you that this does not appear to be a game development related question. At least it is not obvious from your brief post. Please do not make it a habit to ask non-game-development question here. The bandwidth on this site is ear-marked for the game-development community. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you've been a member for a very long time, .

sQuid has the right idea, but there's a bug in his derivation . The first line of formulas assumes that log(az) is the same as z*log(a), which is not true. Its easy to prove this is wrong. However, the end result is correct,

az = ez*log(a)

sQuid is correct on the definition of log(a) when a is negative.

I'll also comment that "log" is the natural log (log-based e).

I'll supplement sQuid's post:

z = c + bi

so,

ez = ecebi

By definition, by the "Euler formula",

ebi = cos(b)+ i*sin(b)

Then,

ez = ec*(cos(b) + i*sin(b))

I'll note that if a is a positive real number, then log(a) is just a constant multiplier to c an b. The final exponent az is quite easy to find. If a is negative, then log(a) is the complex number given by sQuid and so z*log(a) is a complex number times a complex number. Again, easy to do, but just don't forget that step. Then plug the result into the Euler formula.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

[edited by - grhodes_at_work on April 22, 2002 12:03:51 PM]

quote:
The first line of formulas assumes that log(az) is the same as z*log(a), which is not true

Really? Here is my derivation which I can''t find a mistake in

Let x = log(az)

exponentiating both sides

ex = az

Raising both sides to the power of 1/z

ex/z = az*(1/z) = a

taking logs again

x/z = log(a)

so x = z*log(a)

sQuid,

I must apologize. You are correct, and my statement that you made a mistake was in fact....the mistake. I''m not sure what I was thinking there.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

• Advertisement