• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Destroying buildings in an RPG

This topic is 5747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m merely wondering about this. In my ideal game the destruction of buildings would be possible somewhat in the style of Warcraft 2 but, of course, there are several concerns over this. Besides the fact that this would be difficult to pull off as a programmer (in my not-so-experienced programmer''s opinion) this would affect a few other factors. 1. Owners of houses would always have to worry about their house being destroyed. What happens when a player isn''t playing but his house is being attacked? Should the house be invincible while the player is offline, for example? 2. What happens to the contents of the house once it''s rubble. Could it be treated basically the same as a treasure chest to loot? Or would the contents also be destroyed? Or some compromise of the two (random destruction of items)? 3. What about people inside a building as it collapses? Do they die? Do they take massive damage? Maybe this one''s simpler. Perhaps they should take damage based on what they''re doing. If they''re using their shield to block then maybe they''d take less damage. I suppose it would also depend on the size of the house but I''m sure you could get much more advanced calculating damage (which is probably not necessary). I''ve been playing around with the idea of building destruction for a while now. Don''t know if any RPG game does this. Ideally it''d be great to invade an enemy castle and destroy homes and shops and such.

Advertisement
hmm...
most people dont destroy ENTIRE houses, just whats nessecary.
So have things like windows being able to be broken in, or doors broken down.

Unless the house was attacked by a giant hellspawn, i think it''d be pretty much safe.

If the player wanted more protection he could get a steel door, or window bars, so the effort would be harder. Or maybe he could get a protection spell so his house wouldn''t be raided when he left

I always thought that the one thing games were missing were the ability to burn and destory buildings. I think that was pretty popular in actual medieval times since buildings in castles were built closely together and were made of wood and other "burn-able" materials.

It''d be a great quest to receive from your king: "Take a handful of men with you to one of my enemy''s towns and level every building there, however you do it."

one thing you have to remember is, that wood, although flammable, can take a long while to ignite. But as for straw houses, well... any moron who lives in a straw house should get it burned down

quote:
Original post by GameCreator
1. Owners of houses would always have to worry about their house being destroyed.

Destruction of houses is uncommon in the real world. Make it uncommon in your world. Sure, it can happen, but not often.
quote:
Original post by GameCreator
What happens when a player isn''t playing but his house is being attacked? Should the house be invincible while the player is offline, for example?

If the player stopped playing while he was at his house, then the house should have more protection. Otherwise, the house is as vulnerable as an unprotected house, assuming good samaritans aren''t protecting it.

I remember a MMOG that was based around tank battle (Terra?) that allowed you to set up sentry guns and flying drones to protect your house when you were gone. It didn''t protect you 100% but made the game more interesting than the indistructable houses in other games.

In addition, I agree that destroying the house in unrealistic. Just breaking in and looting it would be better.

Nathan Fahrenthold
Gamemaking.com: Free tools for game making!

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
Destruction of houses is uncommon in the real world. Make it uncommon in your world. Sure, it can happen, but not often.

That depends where you are. If you''re a Palestinian mother, don''t be surprised if Israelis bulldoze your house in the name of "the war on terrorism."

Destruction was common in medeival times, but it still exists. We just don''t experience it.

quote:
Original post by Tron3k
Wasn''t that game Tanarus?

Firebird Entertainment

Nope..not Tanarus. This was back in 1999 and I remember QAing it when I was a tester for Mplayer.com.

Nathan Fahrenthold
Gamemaking.com: Free tools for game making!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Here''s a collection of my favourite ideas, and a few of my own:

1) windows and doors can be broken to enter a house, and valuable posessions broken or stolen if they are not properly protected (hidden in a locked chest in a secret compartment under the carpet, guarded by a flame trap etc...). Windows can be barred, doors can be reinforced to make houses virtually impenetrable.

2) houses can be burned down, but this process takes a long time (I''m thinking 24 hours ish) so the player who owns the house has a good chance to enter the game and rescue it before it burns to the ground. If they don''t enter the game regularly enough they will not be able to protect their house effectively, but hey, should they really own a house if they only login once a month?

Even if your house burns to the ground, you still own the land, of course.

3) if you''re seen setting fire to a house or breaking the door down, there should be consequences (depending on the mechanics of the town). But only if someone sees you do it. If the door is a good one, it will take you longer to break in and you will make a lot of noise, so you are more likely to be noticed.

if you want to see how real houses are being destroyed, give a search at google.com Images Search with a keyword " Palestine " or so .
Your game would be much realistic.

WOW Ive always had this idea for a mmrpg, my ideas were this, there could be a class of character named engineers, engineers can make stuff such as catapults, boats, houses, rams, etc... Only catapults can destroy buildings, if the building is owned by an npc, the npcs begin rebuilding the building,and such Ive never though about damage of the people inside the building perhaps it crubles around them, why should a player be punished for just being in the building. Also the guards and such fight back to any attacks to npc buildings, guards can be killed unlike in other mmrpg''s but they are very hard, a guard versus a gm pc, the pc would win but 2 guards, and the pc wouldnt stand a chance etc..

But if you have building destruction why not have building protection such as protection spells, walls, etc... Also I thought of the idea of trees being able to be destroyed, but certain areas or set forst, so the tree can be destroyed but a house cannot be set there, and the tree will grow back (faster than in real life though of course) If a mage uses a fire spell near a tree it may catch the tree on fire, there could be forest fires also.
As far as playable characters houses being able to be destroyed I think it should be very hard, and catapults should be weak to fire spells, that way not everyones houses are not being destroyed, also it should take more than one person to build a catapult, about the contents of the house, if its in a chest or something strong like that then it stays in there, if not in a chest then it lays in the rubble.

My 2 Cents
-OoMMMoO

I think thats a sweet idea

I dont know what time period your game is taking place in but if its in the future, you sohuld be able to build auto turrets to defend your house or something

If its in the typical fantasy setting of most persistent online worlds, make there be an AI controlled city guard to prevent this sort of thing, or allow the player to hire a guard.

Just knowing that you can destroy (or damage) the buildings, no matter how hard it is to do so, could add a lot to an RPG.

Also, the idea of having the hellspawn coming up in the middle of the town and destroying buildings is cool. And funny for the players whose houses survive. If someone made a game that had that much depth, I'd buy it.

[edited by - glassJAw on April 21, 2002 10:40:29 PM]

There was a book by Mercedes Lacky, I dont rember which one it was, but it was part of the Bardic Voices series. There was a huge fire in town and most of the town was leveled. If you modeled fire into a town...hmm, lots of interesting possibilites. Most of the townsfolk would turn out to form thge bucket brigade. Leving the crafty theif a whole slew of homes to loot. Any houses adjancent to the ones on fire would be torn down, to breate a barrier for the fire, hmm, it would relaly se the place on its head.

It does offer a lot of possibilites but it does also get complex.
When I first posted this thread I didn''t think as much about what it would offer a Thief or other characters but more and more that interests me as well.

Of course the Mage could also be busy trying to cast rain or other water based spells to put out the fires. The Warrior, with his extra health and protective armor would be busy pulling villagers from their burning homes (or, if got there too late, the wreckage and rubble). This can get as imaginative as you want.

Guest Anonymous Poster
what normaly happens in reality ...to question 1 dam its a bit un feair to play game when player is not presint.thus gameplay like that dose not work ,scrap question 1.
....hangon..hmm what if when you finish game and log off you get a $ value for house,thus on re entry to game you can get house to the same value as before (all uther itimes are saved in invintory list)
2.give house a $ value,the longer you have house the more $ it is ,.werth when destroyed a [%]should be left as treasher icon
thus alowing player a better start than from scrach ,this intern reflects coolness.
rivit

quote:
Original post by GameMaking
I remember a MMOG that was based around tank battle (Terra?) that allowed you to set up sentry guns and flying drones to protect your house when you were gone.

Wasnt the game 10 6 (Ten Six) or something like that? I played it for awhile..

Have some mages be volenteer firemen. And if they dont show up then the local noble gets mighty angry.

Here''s my solution to the problem. Set it up so that arsonists/etc can only do damage from inside, and find a good reason why this is so. Next, allow players to have "watchdogs", either literal NPC animals or automatic plasma torches or something. Some kind of alarm or whatever would be cool.

Just remember, if you add building destruction, make sure the game world can handle it. Make every town have a volunteer fire department run by NPCs so that there''s always someone to put out the burning house.

There''s dozens of ways to do the fire department scheme; for example, players may have to pay a few pounds of gold when they sign off in order to insure their homes from raiding orcs. Perhaps they have their credit lines charged if the local water storage robot has to douse a Xoogle-induced inferno.

Basic rule of design: if the player can do something, always make sure that the world can somehow handle the repurcussions of that action.

Apoch
Lead Developer
The Freon Project

Some thing I''m considering.

Once destroyed. Is the building rebuilt?
You say it''s an RPG. If you level a house or a town, with in 6 months {game time} the buildings would be rebuilt may be slightly
different then before.

It is a good day to code.

• Advertisement