Destroying buildings in an RPG

Started by
19 comments, last by GameCreator 21 years, 11 months ago
It would certainly make a thief class more realistic.
Advertisement
if you want to see how real houses are being destroyed, give a search at google.com Images Search with a keyword " Palestine " or so .
Your game would be much realistic.
http://uae-arts.host.sk
WOW Ive always had this idea for a mmrpg, my ideas were this, there could be a class of character named engineers, engineers can make stuff such as catapults, boats, houses, rams, etc... Only catapults can destroy buildings, if the building is owned by an npc, the npcs begin rebuilding the building,and such Ive never though about damage of the people inside the building perhaps it crubles around them, why should a player be punished for just being in the building. Also the guards and such fight back to any attacks to npc buildings, guards can be killed unlike in other mmrpg''s but they are very hard, a guard versus a gm pc, the pc would win but 2 guards, and the pc wouldnt stand a chance etc..

But if you have building destruction why not have building protection such as protection spells, walls, etc... Also I thought of the idea of trees being able to be destroyed, but certain areas or set forst, so the tree can be destroyed but a house cannot be set there, and the tree will grow back (faster than in real life though of course) If a mage uses a fire spell near a tree it may catch the tree on fire, there could be forest fires also.
As far as playable characters houses being able to be destroyed I think it should be very hard, and catapults should be weak to fire spells, that way not everyones houses are not being destroyed, also it should take more than one person to build a catapult, about the contents of the house, if its in a chest or something strong like that then it stays in there, if not in a chest then it lays in the rubble.

My 2 Cents
-OoMMMoO
I think thats a sweet idea

I dont know what time period your game is taking place in but if its in the future, you sohuld be able to build auto turrets to defend your house or something

If its in the typical fantasy setting of most persistent online worlds, make there be an AI controlled city guard to prevent this sort of thing, or allow the player to hire a guard.

Just knowing that you can destroy (or damage) the buildings, no matter how hard it is to do so, could add a lot to an RPG.

Also, the idea of having the hellspawn coming up in the middle of the town and destroying buildings is cool. And funny for the players whose houses survive. If someone made a game that had that much depth, I'd buy it.

[edited by - glassJAw on April 21, 2002 10:40:29 PM]
There was a book by Mercedes Lacky, I dont rember which one it was, but it was part of the Bardic Voices series. There was a huge fire in town and most of the town was leveled. If you modeled fire into a town...hmm, lots of interesting possibilites. Most of the townsfolk would turn out to form thge bucket brigade. Leving the crafty theif a whole slew of homes to loot. Any houses adjancent to the ones on fire would be torn down, to breate a barrier for the fire, hmm, it would relaly se the place on its head.
It does offer a lot of possibilites but it does also get complex.
When I first posted this thread I didn''t think as much about what it would offer a Thief or other characters but more and more that interests me as well.

Of course the Mage could also be busy trying to cast rain or other water based spells to put out the fires. The Warrior, with his extra health and protective armor would be busy pulling villagers from their burning homes (or, if got there too late, the wreckage and rubble). This can get as imaginative as you want.
what normaly happens in reality ...to question 1 dam its a bit un feair to play game when player is not presint.thus gameplay like that dose not work ,scrap question 1.
....hangon..hmm what if when you finish game and log off you get a $ value for house,thus on re entry to game you can get house to the same value as before (all uther itimes are saved in invintory list)
2.give house a $ value,the longer you have house the more $ it is ,.werth when destroyed a [%]should be left as treasher icon
thus alowing player a better start than from scrach ,this intern reflects coolness.
rivit
quote:Original post by GameMaking
I remember a MMOG that was based around tank battle (Terra?) that allowed you to set up sentry guns and flying drones to protect your house when you were gone.

Wasnt the game 10 6 (Ten Six) or something like that? I played it for awhile..

Have some mages be volenteer firemen. And if they dont show up then the local noble gets mighty angry.
Here''s my solution to the problem. Set it up so that arsonists/etc can only do damage from inside, and find a good reason why this is so. Next, allow players to have "watchdogs", either literal NPC animals or automatic plasma torches or something. Some kind of alarm or whatever would be cool.

Just remember, if you add building destruction, make sure the game world can handle it. Make every town have a volunteer fire department run by NPCs so that there''s always someone to put out the burning house.

There''s dozens of ways to do the fire department scheme; for example, players may have to pay a few pounds of gold when they sign off in order to insure their homes from raiding orcs. Perhaps they have their credit lines charged if the local water storage robot has to douse a Xoogle-induced inferno.

Basic rule of design: if the player can do something, always make sure that the world can somehow handle the repurcussions of that action.

Apoch
Lead Developer
The Freon Project
ApochLead DeveloperThe Freon Project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement