• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stefu

3DS MAX, Lightwave3D, Maya, Cinema4D...

This topic is 5869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Sorry, but there is no "best." Users will say different things and ultimately it comes down to which you like the most, which is most economically reasonable for you and what you want to do with them. They excel in different areas, as far as I can tell.

I like 3D Studio Max myself. Its very customizable, I''m used to it and it does what I need. I''m sure there are some experienced Maya users here too that can give you the low-down on it.

Charles Galyon

3dsmax for vertex/poly
max for nurbs

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

Heh, and I think I''m the one hardcore cinema 4d user here... Cinema 4d is great too, and often overlooked. Has some very powerful tools and is fairly easy to use.

Only downside I see to it, is that since its not "that" popular, there aren''t that many plug ins for it. But, my prof says that Cinema 4d is gaining popularity and is on its way to advancing beyond other modelers... so ya never know!

Well Now,

After trying lightwave, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Cinema 4D and Truespace I love Cinema 4D and quite like 3D Studio. Also in PC Format recentley the top 3 were:

1. Cinema 4D (10/10)
2. Maya (9/10)
3. 3D Studio Max (8/10)

Personally I think C4D rocks it''s powerful small scalable and easy to use...

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

quote:
Original post by STVOY
Well Now,

After trying lightwave, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Cinema 4D and Truespace I love Cinema 4D and quite like 3D Studio. Also in PC Format recentley the top 3 were:

1. Cinema 4D (10/10)
2. Maya (9/10)
3. 3D Studio Max (8/10)

Personally I think C4D rocks it's powerful small scalable and easy to use...

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

Cinema4D has also Free demos (can't render images).
I got to check it out

How is it as mid-poly modeller for games. What file formats it can export, and animations?

[edited by - stefu on April 23, 2002 4:49:01 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
3d max is the stuff as 3D modler - game-animation[movie].

lightwave is good/function-animation[movie].

maya is cool program /function -best animation[movie].

cinema4D ok /function-animation[movie].

hmmm...plugins ,dam 3dmax has the most + you can max script new tools easyer, then any uther apps here.

depends on affect wanted .

rivit.

gah, in Cinema 4d, anyone know how to invert the mouse when rotating the perspective view so that its like 3D studio max ? i quite like c4d, but i cant convert to its rotation system ... its enough to put me off from using it.

What have you learned? What do you do? What hardware do you have?

Are you building polygon based models or NURBS models and converting them?

My team is building NURBS and converting over to polygons so that we have the option to eventually use the higher polycount that the NURBS models start with.

It''s largely irrelevant for my team though. I have modelers using 3DStudio, Maya and Lightwave3D. Why? Because that''s what they learned with and we can just convert. Sure, it might require a little touch-up, but I''d rather do a little touch later up than a LOT of teaching now.

Game companies usually want 3DStudio though, so if you want a job in the gaming industry, go with that, if you just want a job and will worry about getting into gaming later, go with Maya and learn 3DStudio later.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!