• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nironics

Minimum for a 3d Engine

This topic is 5996 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI al i am trying to wite a basic 3d engine, it hasn't to by something special just load a map and display it, if possible move the camera. i am writing this without any api (all by my own ) and now i am stopped at the point where i can put pixels and lines to a window. Now my question is what is the minimum for the sort of 3d engine mentioned above i mean do i have to do. also some sugestions about the fileformat that i should use (it have to be very simple basic) also in which order do i have to write the engine. i hope u understand what i mean. [sorry for my bad english] thx in advance. ----------------------------------------------------------- /*================================== Close the world , txEn eht nepO ==================================*/ [edited by - nironics on April 18, 2002 5:27:40 PM]

Advertisement
Nice for a first engine :

- Use of Direct Draw surfaces (double or triple buffering)
- Graphical routines (wireframed, filled, textured, gourauded tris)
- Mathematical classes or structures (Matrices, vectors, planes...)
- 2D clipping with cohen-sutherland regions algorithm
- 3D clipping with Z-Buffering
- ASE (Models) file loading (with a parser)
- BMP or TGA (Textures) file loading (with a parser)
- Camera (should use quaternions)

[edited by - Bloodscourge on April 18, 2002 6:35:24 PM]

also, it''s probably best to first do a 3d cube. trying to go, from scratch, and make an entire landscape engine (or map engine - not much difference) in one go is quite a difficult task. Try rendering a cube first (by hardcoding the vertices). Once you''ve done this, you can then adapt your code to load objects. From here, you can then go onto loading a map.

Why objects? well they are quite small, and you don''t have to worry about the complexities of an entire map.

hope that helps - and have fun!

All done with Cash:

www.venini.co.uk/arthursdeparture/

So you know, the book "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Guru" includes the entire source to a engine, very similar to what has been described if I remember correctly...

thx for all response

i coded some basic structures and displayed some filled polygons.
i think i am on the right way .

btw i dont want to use API''S

i think i combine all the points mentoned above and try to find a way to accomplisch my wisch of an API independent Engine.

@masterg:never heard of it.

but i try my luck at Amazone.com

anyway thx for posts

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!